I need a hand..

Grego661

Beta member
So I have this Dell Optiplex gx270. Whenever I boot it up it runs just fine for a few seconds then all power to my peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc..) fails. The tower itself is still running but everything else just dies. Now all I'm really concerned about is getting my massive collection of music off of the hard drive. But if someone could give me a generalization as to what the problem might be, i would greatly appreciate it.

Does it do it in safe mode or on a linux live cd? If it doesn't then it is probably a software issue. If it does then it is probably hardware related.

I'm pretty much certain it's a hardware issue, the thing is i'm not sure what piece of hardware it is.

To OP, is your computer a full tower or one of the smaller form factors?

My first guess would be the PSU.

If it is the PSU and you have a smaller form factor, it's going to be harder to find a power supply ... even harder than the tower being a Dell. Either way, I would search ebay for a PSU that's designed specifically for your model of Dell. Dell is absolutely notorious for using specially-designed parts that don't work with any other kind of computer.

Back
Top Bottom