I'm thinking about spending $2,500 on a new rig. Plz advise.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
PCU = I know that in January the new Intel processors coming out, but I am not sure if I want to wait that long, so I might get the Q6600 now, and upgrade in 3 month. What about the AMD? When are they coming out? How good are they going to be? AMD or Intel?

Video Card = I know that the new 8800GT just came out, but aside from it using much less PC usage then the previous versions & it costing less, the GTX still has better bench marks http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=197629 are there better vid cards coming out soon? If yes, what models and when?

HDD = I see now that you can get a 32MB Cache HDD, but I can't find one with 10,000rpm's What's better and why to have 2WD HDD 500G 32MB cache 72,000rpm's in raid 0 or 2 Raptors 160G 16MB cache 10,000rps in raid 0.

MOBO = Well I know that PSI-E v2 been out for about a month now, and its what we all be using in the future, so I think I need a mobo with PSI-2.

RAM = 4G (Something that will last)

CASE = not sure… (Maybe future water-cool the parts)

PSU = not sure… (Something that will last)

My budged is about $2,500

I think most people will say wait and see what bench marks the new hard ware will produce and then make your choice, but as probably some of you know, technology evolving rally quick, especially in the computer world, so if im going to constantly wait for stuff, I will never get it lol.

If you would have an outdated computer, and u had about $2,500 +, - (hard earned money) in you pocket & you wanted to get a really good comp, how would you spend it? :)

If I was you I'd hold off for a few months to be honest. Like you said Intels new chips are comming out the new 780I's will be out next month plus the new versions of the Gts's etc will be out.

Really selecting the ram and psu will be hard till you figure out what type of Board and GPU your going to use. I'd just chill till the end of November beginning of December and see what all hits the market.

the 780i is the same chipset and doesnt support ddr3 to my knowledge yet
so get 680i a1 version 4 now
quad core right now is more then enough
id get the antec 900 case

the 780i is the same chipset and doesnt support ddr3 to my knowledge yet
so get 680i a1 version 4 now
quad core right now is more then enough
id get the antec 900 case

Umm the 780I is not the same freaking chipset otherwise it would be called a 680I not a 780I. It supports Tri SLI plus 2.0 PCI-e support. Not to mention 1600FSB Future cpu support!

You are correct the 780I doesn't support DDR3 but the 790I scheduled for January 08 does.

The 680I doesn't support PCI-E 2.0 so whats the point in buying it really. Why spend $200 on dated technology when far better boards are just around the corner?

its the same north and south bridge
and u can quote me on that
and there no need to get all pissy on me
and pcix10.2 is going to the be same same as agp 4x/8x all cards will support both
the fsb is larger tho so that is a buyers point

id wait til the new year, and see what came along then..

lol.. though i wouldnt be spending it on a computer.. my car could do with some money being spent on it..

dont spend so much on a PC, you probably wont use it enough to make it worth 2500$. there is other things more worth while than a PC for that price, but if you insist, i would wait till the new year starts, make sure you get the newest parts possible, get DDR3, otherwise you will be upgrading both your motherboard and ram, and DONT buy an intel board just yet, the AMD's are getting ready to come out, see how they stack up against intel before diving headlong into intel

Ya well maybe u guys are right, maybe I should wait. Its just I'm afraid I will have to wait 3 month, and then we will find out that in march the new "Penta Core" with supper dupper @ ability is coming out, and then its wait wait wait all over again lol.

eventully your just going to have to jump on a train going 200mph, see where you land. hopefully its toward the front ;)

Back
Top Bottom