i have a quick question about sharing on windows vista for multiple accounts

dellxpsm1210

Solid State Member
first off, id like to thank this board for the fast replies to my previous questions. i really appreciated it.

background: i have two accounts now. one is the administrator account and the other is a standard account, which ill be using also.

i am familiar with the common capabilities of file sharing but i also have never done on it on one computer before. after fiddling around with the user friendly commands with windows vista, i was able to share common files like pictures and music on both accounts without taking up double space on my hard drive. i am totally satisfied with that. i read that common programs are detected and sharing on default (ex. mozilla firefox). is there a way to share uncommon programs (ex. stellarium) on multiple accounts without installing it and taking up double the space on the hard drive?

thanks for your time

right click the folder and go into sharing options. share the folder...you might have to make it so the other user can write to them aswell by checking the other check mark below.

this will happen across the whole network

i dont quite get what youre trying to say. ive done that with my music folder, etc.

i was wondering if i could just get a program (that is not shared by default) on my standard account without installing it again since i already have it on my administrator account.

ive encountered another problem. ive been trying to just share common folders containing files i might need to view on my standard account. it says that the folder cannot be shared but the little shared icon shows on the bottom left of the folder (in extra large icon view, i dont know if you can see the icon in just large). when i log into my standard account to try to view it (assuming that maybe it was shared because the shared icon showed), it does not give me permission (even though i am the administrator also, i just dont want to type the password in and view it; i want to know why its not working).

wtf?

You can try to use the shortcut approach. Create a shortcut in the Start Menu and copy them to 'All Users' - install under one account, then run in another.

thanks for your reply.

but does anyone know why it says my folders cannot be shared and yet the little shared icons still show?

Back
Top Bottom