I hate Intel with a ******* passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The i5 processors will be an entirely different socket. This is bull on Intel's part. They are ditching support for their better processors and just keep adding new ones in. The prices are going to raise for these parts. I'm sure my i7 will fetch a nice price down the road. But it kills the ability to upgrade every 6 months.

Why would you want to upgrade every six months? :p

Yea, talk about "overkill". Most apps and games rarely even fully utilize a quad core proc.

True. They need to come up with some new innovation, such as when we went from single to multiple core processors. But simply slapping more cores on isn't gonna help IMO.

The i5 processors will be an entirely different socket.

Did you miss this part:

Our sources said that the new chip will drop into existing X58/LGA1366 motherboards with a BIOS update. We're told that most board manufacturers have already added support, so unless you're running an outdated BIOS release, there's no need to worry about whether your board will work with the new chip or no
Only the 975 Extreme Edition and the future 6-core LGA1366 CPUs will exist on this socket,

Oh wait, the Core i5 is "supposed" to be the Lynnfield CPU line which is a different socket if I'm not mistaken. I believe it's a socket 1156, or something like that. My bad. :eek:

The six-core LGA 1366 Nehalem is as yet unnamed:
When probed, the sources said that Intel hadn't finalized the name for this chip but were fairly certain that it wouldn't fall under the i7 brand.

What a load of BS. I mean seriously. This isn't going to keep AMD on it's game, it's going to allow AMD to pull way ahead. I'm glad I'm not just now getting into computers because not knowing anything I got in a few years back, I was a die-hard intel fan (just because it's what "everyone" had), but now, frigg...I don't think I'd buy an intel if I had to. I mean, look at AMD's compatibility! They are allowing their NEW AM3 CPUs to exist on the old AM2+ sockets! Now that is something any consumer can enjoy. This is just getting ridiculous, Intel...get it together!

This is confusing...

They are phasing out the quad core i7s... and bringing in new hexa-cores.

The Lynnfield will be taking over the mainstream with a new socket and will be inferior to i7.

What's so bad about this?

Yeah i don't get what is so bad about it. I mean its not like your I7 will stop working when they do this. You can still use your Mobo with a the new Hexa-cores so your really not at a loss here at all. And you still have to wait for them to even release these new chips so That makes it easier for you to upgrade in 6 months like you said...:p

It's just annoying to hear. Once those chips come out, they will be phased out like the current i7 lineup. This will mean price increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom