Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default I don't really get it...

NVIDIA to launch next-gen Volta-based GeForce in Q3 2017

Given that they've had the 200 series, 300 series, 400 series, 500 series, 600 series, 700 series, 900 series and 10 series (which really is a 1000 series in a sense, 980 -> 1080)...

Why does everyone keep referring to Volta as '20 Series' surely it should be the 11 series?
__________________

__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: I don't really get it...

It's a marketing choice. Anything can happen. Maybe 1180 didn't sound "cool" enough.

Don't expect companies to be "faithful" just because. If it doesn't sell, it won't happen.
__________________

__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: I don't really get it...

I think 1180 sounds cooler than 2080, 'Twenty Eighty' just sounds wrong to me!

To be fair though, they haven't really said anything officially. Nvidia rumours usually turn out to be cack, unlike intel ones which tend to be spot on
__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Windows 3.1 (Kernel 3.1) (THEY MATCH!)
Windows 95 (Kernel 3.5)
Windows 98 (Kernel 3.51)
Windows 98SE (Kernel 4)
Windows ME (Kernel 5)
Windows XP (Kernel 5.1)
Windows Vista (Kernel 6)
Windows 7 (Kernel 6.1)
Windows 8 (Kernel 6.2)
Windows 8.1 (Kernel 6.3)
Windows 10 (Kernel 10)... They... match again...
...

It doesn't have to make sense, people just need to buy it :/
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,943
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Just three words are what sells, "New and Improved!"
__________________
I came on a Celeron and now my PC has Ryzen!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 951
Default Re: I don't really get it...

But which is it: New or improved?
__________________
Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,943
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Beats the hell outta me.
__________________
I came on a Celeron and now my PC has Ryzen!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
NVIDIA to launch next-gen Volta-based GeForce in Q3 2017

Given that they've had the 200 series, 300 series, 400 series, 500 series, 600 series, 700 series, 900 series and 10 series (which really is a 1000 series in a sense, 980 -> 1080)...

Why does everyone keep referring to Volta as '20 Series' surely it should be the 11 series?
It's just a name the company decides on.
When MS reps were asked why they skipped Windows 9, they said because seven ate nine.
Why is your name different from your father's name?
__________________
Alpha One Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,943
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Microsoft used the 9s three times, 95, 98 and 98SE so They retired it.
__________________
I came on a Celeron and now my PC has Ryzen!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Seven View Post
Why is your name different from your father's name?
That doesn't mean anything. The question is "why use this specific name?", Not "why did they use a different name?".

This is more like "why are you called John if your father's name was Mark? Why aren't you called Mark II?".
__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
That doesn't mean anything. The question is "why use this specific name?", Not "why did they use a different name?".

This is more like "why are you called John if your father's name was Mark? Why aren't you called Mark II?".
So, you did get the intended message then. Good.
__________________
Alpha One Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
TrotterTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,082
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Actually mine and my father's names are the same save for the "Jr." behind mine. He went by our first name and I have always used our middle name. We both were/are often called by our last name.
__________________
Cooler Master Mastercase H500 / Antec EA650 650W / Zotac GTX 1660 AMP
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Wraith MAX RGB / MSI B350 Gaming Plus / 4x8GB XPG Specrix RGB 3200MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 / Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD / WD Black 750GB / WD Blue 2TB
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Seven View Post
So, you did get the intended message then. Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
Actually mine and my father's names are the same save for the "Jr." behind mine. He went by our first name and I have always used our middle name. We both were/are often called by our last name.
Yeah but you should be like Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr.
Your dad didn't come out of an egg, did he?
__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Daemon Poster
 
TrotterTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,082
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post


Yeah but you should be like Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr. Jr.
Your dad didn't come out of an egg, did he?
Nope, he was the 11th out of twelve. Since 9 of them were boys they had to use different names so my granny could holler at them individually.
__________________
Cooler Master Mastercase H500 / Antec EA650 650W / Zotac GTX 1660 AMP
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Wraith MAX RGB / MSI B350 Gaming Plus / 4x8GB XPG Specrix RGB 3200MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 / Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD / WD Black 750GB / WD Blue 2TB
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,943
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Is two of 'em named Daryl and Daryl?
__________________
I came on a Celeron and now my PC has Ryzen!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
Nope, he was the 11th out of twelve. Since 9 of them were boys they had to use different names so my granny could holler at them individually.
Darn. Well Nvidia has a ton of cards too, so the analogy works
__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #17
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: I don't really get it...

LOL
They named their product what they wanted to, why is that hard to understand?
The names are often generated by market research teams and also sometimes they have an influence from the design teams as well.
If a company feels or finds that a certain name will sell better than another one, they go with what they can sell more of.
That's why their stock is such a good deal.
__________________
Alpha One Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Seven View Post
LOL
They named their product what they wanted to, why is that hard to understand?
The names are often generated by market research teams and also sometimes they have an influence from the design teams as well.
If a company feels or finds that a certain name will sell better than another one, they go with what they can sell more of.
That's why their stock is such a good deal.
That's what I said on my first reply... I don't know why you would assume it's hard for us to understand.
__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #19
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
That's what I said on my first reply... I don't know why you would assume it's hard for us to understand.
Really? You don't see why? Did you notice the title of the thread even?
That is the first clue. The body text is another good clue.
__________________
Alpha One Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: I don't really get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Seven View Post
Really? You don't see why? Did you notice the title of the thread even?
That is the first clue. The body text is another good clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
It's a marketing choice.[...] If it doesn't sell, it won't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
It doesn't have to make sense, people just need to buy it :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery View Post
Just three words are what sells, "New and Improved!"
That should summarize the thread.
__________________

__________________
"Perception without comprehension is a dangerous combination."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×