I dont get this at all

Half Evil

Golden Master
Ok, I have a 54mbs wireless adapter, right? Well I went from a 100mbs onboard connection to this wireless.

Although, when its rated for up to 54mbs (im assuming, right?) why does my download decrese as much as 150kbps/second?

I mean i'm not using the internet for anything else, but downloading particluar things just to get a general consensus of my speed, and it is in the 60-120 range as compared to 250-300 range when I was using onboard.

I mean in games, sure I can see wireless lagging and slowing down and increasing ping, but when the internet is not in any other way used, but to download a specific thing, and it does it at half the speed, or less, I feel that is kind of obserd.

FYI, I have a Linksys PCI adapter.

I'm still saying that it may be some sort of interfernce with something. Try setting the adapter to use a different channel. 802.11g works at the 2.4Ghz range. If you want maximum speed from it, make sure there are no other 2.4Ghz devices within 100m of the router including cordless phones, microwave ovens, bluetooth devices etc. They all interfere with wireless Internet connections. If you live next door or above a generator of some sort, it will screw your connection as well.

Lots of large glass windows will make the signal bounce and storm which will make it slower.

If speed is more important than power or range, switch to 802.11b. It is actually more compatible and won't fight with other devices for interfering.

At the end of the day, wireless is not as fast as wired. It's not truly bi-directional and generally is meant to be a supplementary technology.

my wireless works just as well as a wired connection.
well not in games obviously.
what adapter do you have?

I'm still saying that it may be some sort of interfernce with something. Try setting the adapter to use a different channel. 802.11g works at the 2.4Ghz range. If you want maximum speed from it, make sure there are no other 2.4Ghz devices within 100m of the router including cordless phones, microwave ovens, bluetooth devices etc. They all interfere with wireless Internet connections. If you live next door or above a generator of some sort, it will screw your connection as well.

Lots of large glass windows will make the signal bounce and storm which will make it slower.

If speed is more important than power or range, switch to 802.11b. It is actually more compatible and won't fight with other devices for interfering.

At the end of the day, wireless is not as fast as wired. It's not truly bi-directional and generally is meant to be a supplementary technology.

My router is literally not 3 steps from my computer. Only thing is if I used a cord, it would go across my closet door, so I went back to wireless.

And its this adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115

The only thing, is that I really don't think that it should make a different fpr download speeds, I mean game ping, thats a givin, yeah. But just downloading a file? Thats lame.

hmm looks ok. thats just plain wierd. out of all the wireless adapters ive used all of them have had the same download speeds as wired

Plain easy. I have the same out of my 10MBPS switch. The reason's that your connection is in megaBITS, not Bytes. It's actually 100MiB/sec and 54MiB/sec. When a slower bandwith speed is present, it will allocate less for net download, meaning that if you have a 4MB/sec download speed, it will be around 3-3.5MB/sec.

They never go as fast as advertised. Having said that you can get a pack of push pins and route a cable up and over the door trim. or carefully pry the edge of the trim up and stuff the cable behind it. If there is caulk on the trim you can cut it with a knife and pry the trim up. Be careful though.
Get creative...

This probably sounds weird but have you tried moving the router and computer further away from eachother? When I had a wireless router next to my PC with a wireless card in it, the speeds weren't as good and the signal would cut out all the time. When I moved them away it worked fine, maybe there was some sort of glitch or interference or something. As suggested earlier, maybe try changing channels or try switching to wireless b mode and see if anything changes. I know it's far fetched and off the wall but it might not hurt to try.

I got a new linksys adapter about six months ago and it has very good speed, I don't notice a difference in wired and wireless, except sometimes the signal goes a bit lower than normal and things slow down but that's not very often.

Back
Top Bottom