I did a bobo!

lhuser

Golden Master
I had thse things:

a 40GB Maxtor HDD and a 120GB Maxtor HDD.

I plugged the 120GB Maxtor Controller to the 40GB as they are the same and it doesn't start. Now, I put it back on the 120Gb and it does nothing. WTF is going on? could it be a dead controller that I have?!? :( It was working until the death of the P4 tower...it was still ready to go to me....

The hard dirve just doesn't spin. If I let it on, I'm scared that a small fire will go on....

I could try banging on it, but that'll be useless

I try to feel if something's becoming boiling hot and it doesn't....becomes more major

You know what? Perhaps tommorow I'll be going to the shop and seeing if they can do something about it. It maybe be a failure...I'll try it on the 40...no wait...I can't it won't spin lol!

This is the most wird thing I've encountered...could open this HDD too and see if the problem is inside...

Opening the HD voids what warranty might be on it. If its a failure theres nothing you can do. Which is what sounds like happened.

I would say if the shop candt fix it get a new one =\ Some things cant be fixed..

Do a hard drive swap to see if the drive itself is bad. If other drives don't work with the controllers on the motherboard, then you could try to buy a PCI IDE controller to hook it up to (assuming your motherboard still works).

Themost weird thing is, though, I can hear it turn when I shake it, but it doesn't spin on it's on. And the warranty is already void

@TRD, I have this guy on my Athlon machiine. And, it's thhe only one that does that...

is one of those hard drives one of the ones you opened before?? if so DON'T OPEN YOUR HARD DRIVES!!! I guarantee it won't work again after you open it. And if you don't know enough not to open them, then I can't do anything for you, thats why they manufacture hard drives in a completely dust free environment and the people that work in there wear full body suits. the least little bit of dust that gets inside will ruin the drive. and don't tell me that you do it in a dust free environment, because no environment inside a persons house, or outside for that matter, is dust free. Although I have seen someone open a hard drive sucessfully and install a window in the case and put it back together, it's not recommended. maybe I'll tell you how he did it if you're good.[/rant]
if not....are you sure you have the jumper settings right? you sure you plugged in a power connector? I've seen people forget to do that before.

No, this HDD has never got opened and will never be opened. Looking at it, I don't even feel the power coming in.

Jumpers are OK
Modding with a Window, I've seen too. I don't want to do it though. Too risky.
Power plug OK
IDE cable not plugged. I don't need it to power it

Back
Top Bottom