Hyper-thread problem via keystrokes

killerdoberman

In Runtime
Here's the situation. New CPU, reinstalled Windows XP Pro, same problem. The problem is that when hyper-thread is enabled I can't perform any task that requires me to hold a keystroke, i.e. most first-person, third-person games. If I do, then my system freezes until the keystrokes caught up about 10-20 seconds.

I did a Crtl-Alt-Delete to get the performance window to show up. As I looked at the CPU charts (hyper-thread shows two for my P4 3.06 533FSB) hold down a keystroke and it maxs out at 100% for both CPUs and stops the system for a while until the keystrokes are caught up.

I turn off hyper-threading in the BIOS and perform the same action and my single CPU chart goes up to about 15% and steadies around 5%.

Can any one help me with this annoying issue? Cause right now I am sorry I spent the money on this chip and should've gotten a P4 2.53.

System:
CPU: old P4 1.7 400FSB new P4 3.06 533FSB
Mobo: Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition
RAM: 512MB DDR 400
Graphic card: Radeon 9800 Pro

YES-hyper-thread

Yes, as I stated in the initial message this problem only exists when I enable Hyper-Threading in the BIOS.

By turning it off, the problem goes away. But I like the performance otherwise when Hyper-thread is turned on.

I like the advantages from hyper-threading when it comes to high processor usage. In my 3DMark2001, I see a 400 point jump when hyper-thread is enabled. Plus, I really can see overall performance of my system when hyper-thread is enabled as well. A game such as Generals where there isn't a need to hold down any one key, I can crank the resolution all the way up and details set to high. Also when using applications such as, SolidWorks or converting and burning files, I see and feel no slow down when hyper-thread is enabled. The only time I see a change is when I play first person games, such as; Unreal 2004, Counter Strike, and Splinter Cell, where holding down a key stroke is a must. So I turn off hyper-thread when I game. But the down side is that it does slow down my system a bit, so I can't take advantage of the “extra” processor.

This is such a weird problem and I have no clue what it could be to cause such a issue as this is. I have tried so many things, such as; changing RAM, upgrading the BIOS, looking at both Microsoft and Intel knowledge base for clues, to even messing with the character repeat and delays both in the BIOS and in the control panel. I have made a little difference by adjusting the repeat rate, but nothing that solves the issue.

The wierd thing is that I will get this problem - Keeping down a Key at all - on Halo. Only Halo in Single Player, not in Multi-Player. I don't know why but it happens. Just one of those things you have to put up with I suppose. :(

Lord Kalthorn said:
Lol! Buffy the Vampire Slayer says that! You're mad!

What for?
I said that cause i said does your motherboard support HT when he clearly said it did.

It should be better when HT enabled i don't know what to say.

Back
Top Bottom