Hybernate help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I have win xp pro and I have everything under Power Managament setup for Hybernate.

So when I hit the Sleep key on my keyboard the computer goes into Hybernate,

And when I hit any key it come back on.

But I always have to hit the Power Button to get the computer to com back on.

Why does my keyboar work to put my computer to Hybernate but it wont turn it on?

I have everything set that when I put my computer to Hybernate I can hit any key on the keyboard to turn it back on but I end up having to hit the power button??

I know it is just a stting that I am missing??

I have win xp pro and I have everything under Power Managament setup for Hybernate.

So when I hit the Sleep key on my keyboard the computer goes into Hybernate,

And when I hit any key it come back on.

But I always have to hit the Power Button to get the computer to com back on.

Why does my keyboar work to put my computer to Hybernate but it wont turn it on?

I have everything set that when I put my computer to Hybernate I can hit any key on the keyboard to turn it back on but I end up having to hit the power button??

I know it is just a stting that I am missing??

Use stand by for that.

Hibernate writes all your ram to a file on your hard drive, then almost completely turns off the computer.
Your keyboard is not working to turn on the computer because your keyboard is off. (no power)

i wuz referin 2 the wurd hybronate
Hybronate? He never used that word...

As vampist says, when you hibernate your computer is switched off rather than just being put into a low power state. (Well, not quite since modern computers don't completely switch themselves off unless you turn them off at the socket, but relatively speaking!) As such, you could unplug your computer, move it around, then turn it back on and the system would still resume from hibernation. It's switched off, so won't ordinarily come back on when you hit the suspend button on your keyboard.

The closest I can think of if you really want this feature is to enable "wake on keyboard press" (or similar) in the BIOS - not all of them have this feature though. If enabled, it'll turn the computer on when you press any key, whether it's been shut down normally, hibernated or what. I use it because the power button on my PC is a bit inaccessible, but if you want to use it for some reason, then the option may be there :)

OK this is what is going on.

Inside the Power Options Setting in Controle Pannel ther is a setting that says

When I Hit The Sleep Key Put My Computer To?
I I can pick from a Dropdown list what I want it to do.

So I pick Stand By

Now my computer will go into Stand By when I hit the Sleep Key on the Keyboard but I have to hit the Power Button on thew Tower to have the computer to come back up.

Now there is another setting in the Power Options that says Enable Hibernation.

Should this not be enabled??

Hold on a minute, to start with we're talking about hibernating, now it's standby - your problem seems to have changed!

Hibernating and standby are two different things, the differences have been explained above. If you want to be able to hibernate, then select enable hibernation, if you don't need it then don't. Either way it won't change whether the sleep key wakes the computer up or not!

I am sorry let me tell you what is going on.

Hibernate and Stand By Modes both work and I have now problem with them at all.

And when I go to Start and then Shutdown I have no problem putting my computer in Hibernating or Stand By Mode.

So they both work for me but this is what I do have a problem with?

On my Keyboard there is a key for Turnning Off the whole computer Powerdown. And when I hit it the computer turns off and it works.

Now there also is a Key that looks like a Moon and if I hit it the computer will go into Hibernating or Stand By Mode what ever I have it setup to do.

This is all good.

But none of my keys will wake the computer up even if I have the computer on Stand By and it did befor.

And I go into my BIOS Settup and make sure that Wakeup by PS2 keyboard is Enabled.

And since the Keyboards Off Button turns the computer all the way off I know that my computers Keys all working.

Back
Top Bottom