How to install two seperate graphics drivers on the same computer |4870x2 + x1900xtx|

Speedydowt

In Runtime
Hi guys,

Recently fully watercooled my rig and decided I might as well put both my graphics cards in the loop (4870x2 and x1900xtx) as I had both waterblocks and needed support for 3 monitors (Dell 2408WFP, Asus MW221u and my 46" toshiba tv)

However when installing graphics drivers for these cards I came accross a problem, the old x1900xtx works off an old ATI legacy driver, the 4870x2 can also work on this legacy drivers however I would much prefer it if i was able to install the latest Cataylst drivers for my 4870x2 and also install the old lagacy driver for my x1900xtx,

Does anyone have any experience of installing 2 seperate graphics drivers in one pc?

Here are some pictures just to get an idea of my setup:
my.php

I don't think you can run more then one graphics card at the same time unless they are SLI'd\Crossfired. I'm not really sure though. Also, that's a small case for water cooling :p

Well they currently work fine as two seperate graphics cards running off the same driver, and there are many articles out there that suggest it can be done, the question remains as to whether i am able to run two independant graphics drivers for each card.

As for the case, its a Cooler Master Stacker ST01 which can easily hold a triple raidator, a lang d5 vario 4 hard drivers and all my waterblocks with 3/4" OD tubing, somehow I dont think it's small :)

Well they currently work fine as two seperate graphics cards running off the same driver, and there are many articles out there that suggest it can be done, the question remains as to whether i am able to run two independant graphics drivers for each card.

As for the case, its a Cooler Master Stacker ST01 which can easily hold a triple raidator, a lang d5 vario 4 hard drivers and all my waterblocks with 3/4" OD tubing, somehow I dont think it's small :)

Bah, you lost me :p

I really don't know much about water cooling, I sorta try to avoid it lol.

If I'm not mistaken both video display adapters must have the same GPU and you would need to install a crossfire bridge, assuming the GPUs are ATI.

Thanks for the reply guys, but im not trying to crossfire the two cards, nor am i trying to "combine" the GPU powers in anyway, therefore the consensus that i need a crossfire bridge or indentical GPU's isn't correct.

Instead I installed two seperate graphics cards in order to power more than 2 monitors, and am asking if anyone knows about using two different drivers accross the different GPU's.

Thanks again

I understand what you're trying to do. I do not think it would be a good idea to install two drivers on one system, that is a recipe for driver conflicts IMO. Besides, wouldn't the new driver just overwrite part of the old driver?

Instead I installed two seperate graphics cards in order to power more than 2 monitors, and am asking if anyone knows about using two different drivers accross the different GPU's.n

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I would think you could install a separate driver for each video display adapter. But, I've never tried that so I'm interested in the answer as well.

Have you tried uninstalling the older driver, and only keeping the new driver

Its possible for the newer driver to recognize the older card

Back
Top Bottom