How good is this video card nowadays?

A cheaper card for you might be a 6600GT - but most agree that it is now dated, especially for games like F.E.A.R. - so this is not likely to be your biggest choice unless you're looking for something that can play most current games with decent settings - I've had no problem with my single 6600GT still, but I haven't played F.E.A.R.; to be fair, my friend with a Radeon 9200 (I believe it was) played it. I can't be sure on his settings - but he seemed to enjoy it. That guy can play any game, no matter how bad it looks. I think the 6600GT would be a lower-end (Now) card that might be today's standard of a Radeon 9800. From the Radeon side of things - there's the X800 which I believe would be similar.

depending on what games you plan to play, if you have agp slots, your cards are really limited as well as the power output when you're playing games. if you plan on playing more intense games in the future, you should probably just buy a new motherboard while you're at it since pci-e is the way to go right now. budget dependent of course.

I'm not really interested in playing all the newest games at high settings. It would mainly be for casual gaming. I have a laptop with GMA900 graphics and it plays most of my games just fine, but some of the games could use a more powerful GPU.

I'm confused about this power supply stuff. Do I need one if I put a good graphics card in? I'm looking at some EVGA 6800s on Ebay...

DMB14 said:
I'm confused about this power supply stuff. Do I need one if I put a good graphics card in? I'm looking at some EVGA 6800s on Ebay...

you always need a power supply. it, powers, your computer.

DMB14 said:

you always need a power supply. it, powers, your computer. certain graphics cards though require bigger (in terms of wattage) power supplies. Higher end graphics cards tend to consume more power then lower end ones.

I'm talking about a power supply for the GPU. As in something separate. But I don't know shit about what I talking about...

What PSU do you have now?

if you plan on getting a 6800 class card, I recommend 420 or more watts with about.. 18 or more amps on the 12V rail.

Back
Top Bottom