How to get FarCry to run faster.

Boy Named Susie

Beta member
I have a Dell 8250:
Intel P4 2.4 Ghz 533 FSB
512 Mb PC1066 RDRAM
Radeon 9600 XT 128 Mb

I can actually run Farcry and it looks ok with my graphics card and everything but the game sometimes freezes when im playing online and the maps sometimes have a hard time loading.
Would kicking my Ram up from 512 MB to 1.5 Gigs really speed up my gaming for games like FarCry? And what other improvements would really improve my gaming performance: visual and speed-wise?

Did he say FarCry? Missed that.

Yeah - on FarCry! Well; lets just say I can only just run it on Higher - its a bloody great graphical game but its a bastard without Graphics Card, Ram, Processor, everything like that you'd need to work it.

Thanks.

Yea that helps me out a lot.

So basically i need to invest more in a newer graphics card like a 9800 XT rather than more memory. But if i up the memory, the processor to maybe a 3.06 Ghz, and go to a 9800 should i see a larger performance boost then?

If you are going to upgrade that much I would wait until Thanksgiving - Christmas time frame. That's when the new PCI is coming out and that should help out greatly on the graphics side.

9600 XT to 9800 XT is a good jump, but not worth the money. If you want to see improvements right away before the new PCI is available, then I would look at the X800 over the 9800 XT. However, the 9800 XT is a great card.

I am currently running the 9800Pro 128 with 3.06 533FSB with 512ram and FarCry is still a bitch on my system.

So re-cap.
Graphics card 1st. PCI Express, X800, 9800 XT in that order.

Processor 2nd, look at getting something with a 800FSB (that may require a new mother board).

Lastly, new RAM...dump the old stuff and buy the fastest possible.

yeah...but the only way that im going to get anything out of the new PCI Express is by buying a new mobo which pretty much means building another system with a mobo that has PCI Express and i really dont want to do that.

Back
Top Bottom