How does resolution, pixels and PPI work

Buster_wolf722

Beta member
Hey guys,
I've been trying to figure out the relationship betwene resolution, pixels and PPI but I just can't figure it out? Can someone please explain to me how it work? Thanks

Well resolution indicates how many pixels you have in length and width. For instance lets take the common 1024x768 resolution. This means that you have 1024 pixels long, and 768 pixels wide.

Although on the subject of PPI, I'm completely clueless!

PPI:

"Pixels Per Inch. The number of pixels per linear inch is used to describe image resolution. A higher ppi means more image detail and correlates to higher image quality. Monitors display images at 72 ppi, inkjet printers require at least 150 ppi to produce photo realistic prints."

If you know maths, this is another example:

"A resolution factor, which determines the physical size a raster image will be printed or displayed. Given a raster image, which, by definition, is a fixed number of pixels horizontal, by a fixed number of pixels vertical, ppi describes how many of the pixels in the raster image will occur in one inch. For example, a raster image which contains 400 pixels horizontal by 400 pixels vertical will be 1.33" x 1.33" at 300 ppi (400./.300=1.33)"

Back
Top Bottom