How do I install XP?

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey everybody. I got a new computer a few months ago, and I installed Win. XP Pro on my comp. It was an illegal copy, and I was having problems, so I just bought a legit copy. I was just wondering how I go about installing my new XP OS. I want my HDD completely wiped out, and completely fresh install. How do I go about doing this?
Thanks a lot,
Derek

It's actually very easy. First, backup any data you want to save. Then, just insert your XP disc and follow the onscreen instructions.

Be sure you delete the partition on the hard drive. You'll see the directions for this as XP prepares to install. Hope that helps.

Can you start setup from Windows? I'm not sure, and I don't feel like checking, so if that doesn't work, just boot from the Windows installer CD to get the setup started.

I think u need to boot from the cd. I don't think it will work if u do it in windows coz then the OS which u are trying to delete is running. Kind of like deleting a game while u are playing it...

Hey guys, thanks for the re:'s. I ran it from in Windows, selected to Install XP. When it came to the partitioning, I had it write in the same partition as my current OS. I couldnt delete, because like daemon said, it was still running. But once I said to write in the same partition, it said it would delete all old files, programs, etc. So I went ahead with that, and it worked out. But now I kind of have a problem. Check out my thread labeled "Big Problem-Internet Drawing a Blank" and let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot everyone,
Derek

Back
Top Bottom