how to disable this box

Jijui

Beta member
could someone help me, why everytime when I pointing my cursor to icons on windows there will be an explanation box appear at the place where my cursor is at. How to disable this explanation/info box.

sorry, are u try to solve my problem. I cant understand, why should i need photobucket?

I think the op is on about the balloon 'tips' that appear when you mouse over an item in the desktop.

Try this...

-Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
-Locate the following subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
-Right-click the right side pane, create a new DWORD value, and then name it EnableBalloonTips.
-Double-click EnableBalloonTips, and then give it a value of 0.
-Close Registry Editor.
-Log off Windows, and then log back on.

Only do so if your confident with editing the registry.

:)

I was about to post that. ;) The other option is to download TweakUI from Microsoft for XP and disable it from there. Some people are intimidated by the registry, so it's up to you, really.

Once you have it installed, go to Taskbar tab and uncheck "Enable Balloon Tips".

EDIT: Do know, however, that even important tips like "Windows is ready to install updates" or "Hard Drive space is low" will not pop up. The items in the taskbar will, but the boxes that draw your attention to it will not.

My previous post doesn't work.

This is what you need.

-Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
-Locate the following subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
-In the right side pane click on ShowInfoTip and select 0 for value.
-Close Registry Editor and restart.

Windows won't treat you like an idiot no more.

:D

Back
Top Bottom