How ATI fits into AMD's Intel beating strategy

X1337

Fully Optimized
A bunch of us spent last weekend at NASCAR and watched a car, number 48, which was effectively out of the race early on with a flat tire and a three lap disadvantage, do the impossible and win that race. If someone had asked me to bet on number 48 at the time of the flat I would have told them they were crazy, the guy had absolutely no chance of winning. But, in hind sight, any other bet would have been a losing one.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/09/rob_enderle_on_amds_ati_strategy/

Who cares. Intel is roughly 10 times larger then AMD is. Not to mention Intel controls all of the Japanese market, which is crucial. Of course, AMD says that it's 'monopolising', but how can it be a monopoly when companies aren't protesting, well, except the competitor of course. ;)

Either way, AMD is trash at the moment. Core 2 Duo is sweet, out performs everything they have, and is at a really exceptable price tag. Not to mention all of their other CPUs are cut down so low in price it's almost more intising to go with Pentium D products then Core 2 Duo products! Sure the performance is a hit, but the money you save is outrageous.

This whole ATI/AMD thing is crap. The only thign I see happening from it is the productivity of Torrenza. Which is also bogus. Seems as though AMD just wants to Integrate everything into one solid package, but wait...isn't that monopolising? :?

No, they're using synergy. Just trying to make a better product. Competetion leads to a better product, so who cares if they combine forces? Then Intel will come up with something better, and it continues.

Intel still holds 70%+ of the microprocessor market. Becides, AMD won't use ATI to specifically choke out Intel, as Hector Ruiz (CEO of AMD) even stated that AMD is all about "sharing." So don't expect any Intel chipsets from ATI, but don't expect to see certain things from ATI in the favor of AMD.

AMD has to pull something out of it's ass to get itself out of the Core 2 Duo mess. Haha, look at their 4x4 Initiative...such crap. The only way AMD can even hope to survive right now is by cutting the prices A LOT. Even then, some of Intel's older processors like the Pentium D are at very good prices. Look at the Pentium D 805; it can overclock to 4.0Ghz stable on air and it only costs $93 MSRP. The Egg has it for $97.

Don't count AMD out of it. It's a never ending process like you described before. It's only a matter of time before the AMD/ATI team comes out with something thats groundbreaking or at least outpeforms whatever INTEL has out. This kind of competition may be bad for both companies but it's great for us. It's the cycle of computer technology, untill we reach the technological singularity where we create a mind more complex and powerfull then our own :p.

EDIT:

My apologies to alvino, it seemed like you were completly ragging on AMD and saying their worthless. Obviously after re-reading your posts your simply saying (which is true) that INTEL pwns AMD right now.

I never said AMD was out of it, but I was simply stating Intel's position in the market.

Back
Top Bottom