The Homebrew Computer Club

is that like buy resistors and transistors and capcitors from radio shack, spend 3 years, and at the end have a vintage style computer? or buy a video card and motherboard kind of computer. becuase I've don't the second, but the first has been my dream.

It is the first!

I don't consider the second "building" a computer, more like... putting a computer together.

I am designing everything from a processor to hardware I/O... or at least that is the plan... It is a big project.

how do you intend to "build" the processor? i mean 90% of me knows it couldnt possibly be on a 65nm scale all packed on a single die, but then again it could be. What sort of scale are talking about? also, i assume at some point you'd be using SMD components, so how would you assemble those to a good standard?

edit: btw, i think thats a great idea overall :D

Haha, no not a 45nm although that might be a fun challenge :D .

Processors don't have to be tiny, the one I am designing will be large... very large, like maybe a foot by a foot in size...

Essentially my goal is to design something with the computational power of maybe a PDP - 6 .

I am starting with designing a machine code, and then I will be working on the architecture more.

Edit: as far as SMDs go, I am not sure. I would like to design all the components, but I have heard about processes of getting these things built into chips professionally... I will look into it when I get a bit further in.

hehehe i thought 65nm would be pushing it but 45nm, you have your standards set high ;)

with regards to the SMD components, I meant more in terms of resistors, capacitors, transistors etc not the IC's :)

and do you have the facilities to create the PCB boards for the processors and other parts?

wow you have real talent, i wouldnt know where to begin with it.
+1

He only has talent if he builds it and gets it working lol.

I did this kind of stuff some 22 years ago. It's a good challenge but it's a long slog.

At the time i was in to it, i made a machine that could do things other "off the shelf" computers couldnt do. So it was worth making.

Make one today......why?

why do people buy kit cars or restore old cars when it would be far cheaper to buy a new one?

Its just something you'd want to do :)

Back
Top Bottom