Highest Hours on a Hard Drive?

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
Hello all,

I was helping out my school the other day with their improvised thin client setup, and I managed to snap this gem:

Cwe2BXg.jpg

Over eight and a half years of uptime, and no re-allocated sectors so I doubt its stopping anytime soon.

Whats the highest amount of hours CF has seen on a drive?

Cool find. Not to get off topic but can you tell me a little about your thin client setup?

I set it up a few years back in highschool. They had all of these pitiful boxes with 128-256mb ram that couldn't handle XP. One day I was rummaging through stuff that got donated and I found a motherboard with dual Opterons (unsure of the specs). Ended up setting it up on a cardboard box in our 'rack' which consisted of a empty janitors closet where we kept the router.

The XP systems had all of the stuff stripped off and were setup to remote to the Opteron box, which was running Windows 7, where the user would then log into their account, etc. Cheaper than buying 40 copies of Windows 7 and new computers to go with it, and so few use the computers at the same time that it doesn't bog, even with 8ish gigs of ram.

That computer had an ethernet port on it die, the user couldn't log in so we put a spare ethernet card in it. I'm sure if I walked around the school I could find that many hours on most of them, they don't turn them off. :rofl:

Wow, it sounds like your school really wants to squeeze every last drop out of those machines, lol.

Yeah, I had a couple of servers that I put into service in 2003 that I finally turned off in 2014. They ran 24/7/365 and were only rebooted occasionally. Doing the math, (365*24)*11 would put their drives at around 96,000 hrs. Most of their life was spent just sitting and spinning.

Back
Top Bottom