Hi friends. Can u help me?

kevineato

Beta member
Hi. Like so many, i have computer issues. I am running a compaq presario with 2 cards of 256 mb of ram. 30 gb. Running XP. after i shut down my computer for a period of time, it doesn't start up immediatly. At first, the computer screen itself doesnt turn on. AFter it warms up, It may boot to windows only to freeze before start up programs run. Or maybe, it will freeze during bootup. I run scan disk on it frequently.
My computer crashed a bit backl, So i tried to use Ubuntu. It was fun, but i decided to go back to windows since i couldn't get my webcam to work.
Well. Since i reverted it back. It has been behaving this way. eI'm thinking reinstalling windows may be a solution. Possibly theres a significant problem i can fix though?

Well i have another question. I am running 480 mb of ram i guess right? When i run a video call, my computer jacks of to cpu usage 100 percent. This doesnt seem appropriate. Well mayb e i should just get more ram. but yah.

ANother issue is, ITS LOUD AS HELL!!!! Its quite annoying i must say. WHen i first turn it on it doesnt make mch sound. But it just....BLAREs after a while.

Any simple solutions for a simple man :D?:D

Sounds like it's pretty old. You could try a reinstall to start over with XP. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it won't hurt. (Make sure you save your data first) Sounds like the fan might be dying as well, that's why it is so loud.

a bit off topic, but would u be able to buy a new PC, or want to make your own?

Where is your location,
what would be your budget if u could make a new PC
what would it be used for mostly.

Just a thought.

a decent web surfing, IMing PC could cost around 300 bucks if that.

a bit off topic, but would u be able to buy a new PC, or want to make your own?

Where is your location,
what would be your budget if u could make a new PC
what would it be used for mostly.

Just a thought.

a decent web surfing, IMing PC could cost around 300 bucks if that.

People on this forum are a little obsessed with making there own pc's :)

Sounds like it's pretty old. You could try a reinstall to start over with XP. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it won't hurt. (Make sure you save your data first) Sounds like the fan might be dying as well, that's why it is so loud.

So is it possible to put a new fan in? or replace it with a better one?

Did you buy this computer in 2005, by any chance?

yah actuelly. its quite posssible that may be the exact year. Was that a bad year? lol

No that was just a long time ago in 'computer years'.

It is very possible to replace the fan.

People on this forum are a little obsessed with making there own pc's :)

cause thats the way to go! All the premade factory builds are crap and don't include what stuff you want and/or need. Could have something could in one area but completely fail in the other.

the noise is likely caused by the fans.

you should be able to replace the case fans, and/or the CPU cooling fan.

as it's old the CPU cooling fan might be a bit more difficult, the best bet is to either take not of the type of fan/heatsink/CPU you have and go to a shop saying I need a replacement fan for a [insert CPU] with a [insert heatsink]

or take the fan off and take it to the shop with you.

(the noise could also be caused simply by something being loose and vibrating, it could be the hard disk spinning, it could be the CD drive), you should possibly investigate all the options before spending money upgrading bit unnecessarily).

booting to windows and freezing up sounds like you might have a problem with the amount of memory, it could be a problem with the existing memory having bad segments, or it could be that there just isn't enough memory.

the CPU percentage, you never posted what the CPU was, but it could be that it's just not good enough to do video calling, I mean it does take a reasonable amount of processing power to capture film, encode it send it whilst also receiving streamed video.
plus you've probably also got a heap of other things running in the back ground too?
in this case re-installing windows will help a bit, for a short while, but by the time you've got all the updates on the machine it probably will grind to a bit of a halt again...back in 2001 when XP first came out it'd run on some machine that by today's standards are pretty rubbish! but over the course of the past 8 years all the updates and patches etc mean that it doesn't really run well at all on the machines of yester-year

Back
Top Bottom