Hey, just got a quick q about AVG!

PerfectSK

Daemon Poster
hey, whats up guys? i havent been on cf for a long time, but what can i say? junior year is tough. i was just wondering though, avg free edition 7.1 keeps sending me lil pop ups saying it will expire on jan 15, and that i need to upgrade.

i went on their website, and i saw that they have avg free edition version 7.5 up, and then later on the bottom it gives instructions for updating it. has anyone tried the new version, and do all i have to do is run the new exe file and just click repair?

quick replies are appreciated. thanks!

heres the link if anyone needed it.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/3/lng/us/tpl/v5
scroll to the bottom to see the instructions for updating to v7.5

you should be fine just repairing it, I did and it worked fine. You could also uninstall 7.1, reboot and then install 7.5 which wouldn't take very long since the installation file of AVG is rather small.

Just uninstall the old version and then install the new one.

Version 7.5 is a lot better than 7.1.

Alrite peeps, thanks! (just wondering does it matter if avg v.7.1 is running in the background while runnin the v.7.5 exe?, or should i just close the resident shield before i do the repair thing? i just dont want any conflictions.)

I'm yet to update, but will be updgrading soon! It hasn't warned me again... as I was busy when it came up the first time, so I was sort of waiting for it to warn me... :p

I don't think they'll run at the same time. Its more a chance that one will wipe the other.

During installation if its any good, and you are running the old version, it'll switch it off after a confirmation box, and let you upgrade to the latest, while copying new files over old ones.

PerfectSK said:
Alrite peeps, thanks! (just wondering does it matter if avg v.7.1 is running in the background while runnin the v.7.5 exe?, or should i just close the resident shield before i do the repair thing? i just dont want any conflictions.)

it should automatically disable it for you and write over the 7.1 stuff with 7.5 files and stuff.

thanks everyone, lol, sorry if my questions were dumb. i just updated avg, and its running fine. i like the new gui. gonna run a test later, see if it finds anything.

I've updated too as of yesterday. Not much different, but it has a few differences I can see so far.

Oh... something I don't think the other fully updated one found, a trojan horse in the C directory...weird. Moved to vault

The only major differences I see are the new interface, less memory usage and it has better heuristics than the previous version. The heuristics used to be really bad so I used avast to pick up what AVG would miss, this version seems to have that under control.

Back
Top Bottom