Help...xeon server getting beep on on boot.

cnl83

Baseband Member
I have a Intel Xeon EM64T 3.0GHz Socket 604 CPU and my mother board is a Supermicro x6dvl-eg.

I put the processor on the mobo, and put the ram in. I did not screw the motherboard on the case, but just kind of suspended the board so that I can see if it will boot. Well when I try to boot the pc, I get a quick beep as soon as power comes through, and after a few moments, I get 6 beeps. It sounds like a RAM beep I guess. I took the ram out to see and its the exact same thing.

Any ideas? thanks in advanced..

What bios does that board have? have you identified the beep code? Bios Central with beep codes. Did you buy recommended/compatible ram?

More information would be of help diagnosing your problem :)

EDIT: AMI Bios - 6 short ..... Gate A20 failure ...... The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller

Is your new keyboard usb? try a ps2 keyboard instead (old style plug, not play station :p ) though with it saying controller I am guessing (note guessing as I am not familiar with this board) that there is a replacable IC on the board.

Yeah, the m/board prob touching a little metal somewhere..make sure you have the stand off's installed when your screwing it in.

I'm hesitant to say it but you may have fried something, the best thing you could do is unplug everything and reassemble your pc in its original configuration but with just the basics i.e. hdd, cpu, and one of the original sticks of ram and see if it will boot. If it does keep adding components one at a time until it stops booting, if it doesn't boot with the basic components in I think you have major board problems that will need a electrical diagnosis (a tech shop) if it is just an IC they should be able to pinpoint and replace the faulty hardware, if they can't I guess you're up for a new m/board. The other alternative would be to email Supermicro and ask their advice. Sorry it's all I can offer at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom