Help with reformatting. computer restarts

KiingDavid

Baseband Member
Hi I have an old laptop that i decided i should reformat. The computer has a history of random shut downs but for the past week or so its been behaving.

However, when i finally decided that i should reformat, the computer shuts off mid installation. In the beginning stages of a clean XP install, the computer shuts down after formatting and during the copy of installation files (That is if i follow the instructions quickly and get to the "copying installation screen" fast enough. If I were not to touch anything the computer would shut down over a certain time).

This brings me to think that it is a hardware overheat issue. Ive tried cooling the laptop by leaving it outdoors in february Canadian winter. Ive tried raising the laptop and putting a fan underneath. But the problem persists.

There is no temperature sensitive PC shut down option in the bios.

Has anyone had any experience with this matter?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
David

p.s. admins. If this is the wrong sub-forum for this thread feel free to replace.

Your post is in the right area, no worries.

It sounds like a power issue, especially if you've let it sit outside like that! :)

If the system is heating up and the affected components are expanding, they can expand to the point where the system loses power - not all too uncommon for some types of systems.

If you're positive that the CPU isn't overheating, it could possibly be bad RAM as well - see if you can download Memtest and run it on the system without any failures, if it fails the test, replace the RAM affected. If no RAM sticks are failing, then it's likely power.

Unfortunately i cant install anything as this problem occured after a succesful quick format :S. The thing is when the computer had windows installed it didnt shut down this frequently, i was able to boot into windows and run the computer for a few hours without problem.

yesterday i did some time tests.
On a cold boot, the system would last about 4mins
then it would shut down.
i would start it again then it lasted 2.5mins
then 2mins and 1:50mins:secs and shorter and shorter.

Is this running off AC power with a battery in it? Tried with no battery but on AC power? Tried with battery only? Sometimes a dead battery will short out the system and cause issues.

I also had a laptop that started doing this and I was not able to fix it. What I managed to figure out is that the fan stopped working so it was overheating, but I couldn't keep it cool enough with external fans and a replacement fan wasn't worth the price of the laptop...

Yeah i was running it with both the battery and power initially, then i pulled the battery. same outcome. now i am trying it with just the battery.

i was thinking the fans too. maybe il take it apart and do a quick air dust.

Unfortunately i cant install anything as this problem occured after a succesful quick format :S.

None of what I suggested needs to be installed. Download Memtest from the website (google it) and burn it to a CD on another system. Pop that into your system and boot to it. The test repeats itself, so if possible let it run for as long as possible (but generally 2-6 hours is plenty for most folks to find problems with the RAM). If the system shuts off during the testing, it's a wash - scrap the system and move on.

Back
Top Bottom