Help in putting a Frewire Card into my new PC.

longjohnsilver

Solid State Member
Have a new HP Pavilion p6598uk which does not have a firewire port. I need this to transfer data from my DV camcorders. People have said that the operation is quite easy and only takes 5 minutes. Watched numeruos demos from Utube on this subject and decided to order a PCI-3PFW 3+1 Port High Speed Fireqwire EEE 1394 PCI card from PC World. Opened up my PC this morning and the set up is completely different, instead of the long slots that I hoped to find there is smaller twin slots spare. Can anyone please advise. Thanks.

PCI slots look like this:

pci_slot.jpg

Is that what you have?

Yes looks like the PCI x 1 slots. Looks like I have wasted money on the wrong card as advised by Maplin electronics, at least I now know what to purchase tomorrow. Thanks.

Got the right type of card which comes with a power cable from the card to in ternal power supply. Y cable-four pin male and female but the spare connectors ion the cables coming out of the PSU are different. Any advice.

Hi, The sockets inside the PC look like the one in your picture but the sockets on the supplied firewire pci express card cable to PSU have a 4 prong socket Male or Female. Just been to local Maplins to see if they had adapter. They asked me if my PC was a Dell or Hp and then stated that I had a problem as Hp/Dell connectors are different and only support their firewirecards(HP say they don't have any). Local PC World cannot help and HP Support is a load of rubbish, trhey keep telling me to purchase a firewire to USB adaptor. Is this my only option. Thanks.

What you need is one of these then,

sata%20pwr.jpg

You should be able to get these at most PC Shops, there called a SATA to MOLEX Converter. As far as i know there is nothing stopping you from getting this card to work.

Just received the Sata to Molex converter, attached to the supplied pci firewire cable and connected straight into PSU cable - GREAT after all this time I am up and running and able to transfer data from my camcorder for the first time since Christmas. Thanks for all your help LJ.

Back
Top Bottom