Help Pls!! Comp Is Messed Up

bor3d

Solid State Member
posted on another forum...by me

----------------------------------

okay so this is my story. i had an old computer and wanted something faster. So i bought a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 Socket 775 Motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 and some Kingston DDR2 PC5300 2GB of RAM. when i connected my mouse and keyboard to the comp the caps lock light was on but the comp was off, so then i switched to a USB keyboard. also the PSU sounded like it was whining when i connected it to the wall. then i powered up the comp with the existing power supply (250W) it booted up to the bios and then it just shut down and my monitor started to smell like it was burning and the screen was flashing green. i'm not sure if there's a short or something can someone help me? is my power supply overloaded and sending current through all the connections

------------------------------

could i have fried my mobo? i didn't reinstall windows (how dumb of me right?) could me not reinstalling windows have caused a major problem like this?

thank you

Well your PSU doesn't have enough wattage. Go to the stor and grab a 450W or higher PSU. You'll end up having the PSU fried.

The smell was coming from your monitor? That's wierd. Maybe your monitor is burned out by chance. Swap that monitor with another one. But that PSU is weak. I really suggest you get a new PSU regardless of what the problem could be.

There's no burnt smell coming from the power suppply?

what is the consequences if my PSU is too small? could it cause it to turn off and maybe fry the integrated VGA connector? maybe that's why my screen was showing the green color. maybe it was coming from the PSU maybe i thought it was from the monitor because before hand it was on for a while and it just smelled of heat. and now the monitor isn't getting any signal from my mobo. btw the PSU whines when it's plugged in...is that a bad sign?

Yeah change the PSU. Do not touch the computer until you have at least a 450W in there.

Back
Top Bottom