Help please, computer has started locking up

trooper1822

Beta member
Hello,
Recently my computer has been locking up. Started doing this about a week ago. Under normal usage such as surfing the web or normal tasks it is fine. But when I try to play some games on it that put it under load it will just freeze and the only way to reset it is to hard reset. I have tested the memory using the win 7 tool and also using Memtest86+ and OCCT and it passes every time. I also tested the GPU using OCCT and also by replacing it with a new one that I just bought and it is fine. Every time I try to torture test the CPU it runs in OCCT for about 3 min and then locks up. I am starting to lean towards the motherboard has gone bad but dont want to buy a new one until I get some advice. Thanks for any help

Windows 7 64bit, OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTS 450 1GB, MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz (OC 3.7), Corsair H70 liquid cooler

Time to redo the thermal paste on the cpu to heatsink connection. Hot will lead to lock.

You're overclocking - general rule #1 when it comes to overclocking - drop your clocks and timings back to base settings to isolate issues with the system - if the issues persist, dig deeper.

Heat is a possibility, but while you list the specs for your system, you haven't mentioned which power supply it is. I don't trust software to do true and accurate diagnosing of a power supply - they can look at certain metrics sure, but for the most part, you need to test the unit yourself, physically (and manually) with the right equipment to get a real idea of what's going on in there.

Since you've already run MemTest, you've got that base covered at least.

Back
Top Bottom