Help needed to figure this out

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I have a computer I am working on trying to figure out the issue. Here's what it does:

- I press power on, fans start up, computer sounds like it's running but there is no video.
- With the original motherboard (I will explain) there was a constant, steady beeping (eg. *beep* *pause* *beep* *pause* and so on..)

I looked up beep codes for the ASUS A8N5X motherboard but couldn't come up with much. What I did find out was that if it is the video card, then a very different beep sequence would have been heard (but I know it's not the video card as you will see).

I tried testing the memory modules one at a time but that did not make a difference.

Now I came to the conclusion that the motherboard was shot. It seemed to make sense. So I got on eBay and managed to get a replacement motherboard- an A8N-SLI Deluxe (Socket 939). Now the current specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (used but apparently works as claimed by eBay seller)
RAM: OCZ DDR400 512MB x 2
Video Card: eVGA 6800GS
PSU: OCZ Stealth 500W (new)

Unfortunately the new mobo made no difference. Still no video but computer otherwise shows all other indications that it has started up. I could not confirm that there was any beeping as the small speaker that goes on the motherboard did not make any sound but I really wasn't sure that it was connected in the right location.

I tried a couple more things as I have another computer with almost the exact same specs:

1) Tried a confirmed working XFX 6600GT video card with the broken computer but it did not make a difference.
2) I tried another confirmed working RAM module in the broken computer but it did not make a difference
3) I tried the 6800GS in a working computer and it was fine so I know the video card is ok.

So my conclusion: The CPU is f***ed! lol.....Is there a way to confirm that the CPU is not working without physically removing it and testing it with another motherboard?

*As a possible side conclusion, I have not been able to make sure that the motherboard I bought off eBay is working. The seller had a good reputation so I trust that the mobo does work but I suppose one can't be too sure.*

Wow, that's a tough one.

Did the original motherboard and CPU work at one time or is it a new build?

[Trying to think of what else you can try.]

try unplugging the hard drive or cd drive and starting it up.

It worked for me when my pc would startup and shut off without showing the bios screen

Wow, that's a tough one.

Did the original motherboard and CPU work at one time or is it a new build?

[Trying to think of what else you can try.]

Ah I forgot to mention. The computer originally stopped working when the PSU failed. That's when it was given to me and I bought a new PSU. It worked for a a while (maybe a month) then it stopped working again as explained above.

try unplugging the hard drive or cd drive and starting it up.

It worked for me when my pc would startup and shut off without showing the bios screen

I haven't tried that yet but I do know that the HDD works (if that's what you're meaning to test) because I connected it to a working computer to backup some files.

I think you may be right, the CPU could be toast. I know you probably have done this three times, but if you haven't, double check all your connections including your CPU. Bent pins in the CPU (if it has them) etc.

[Still have my thinking cap on...for what it's worth.]

[edit]

AR has a point, just because the power supply is new doesn't mean it is working.

I will try another PSU tomorrow and let you know how that went!

*Update*

Ok, so I tried another PSU. No luck! :(

stupid automerge...I need to BUMP!

bump_signs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom