PSU
thats the basics
and links for any details that you might need
if you have any other questions let me know
for now i would like to know if i am okay to proceed with my attempt at OCing
if i reach my goal or not is up to the hardware
thanks for the help guys

Hey Hedoe,

I have a Q6600 and a different motherboard, but I think most of the basics *should* be the same. To give you something to work with until others chime in on the issue, check out my old thread when I was overclocking my computer:

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=70163

"Worshipme" and "A true folder" gave me tons of useful information in that thread, so make use of it. Keep in mind that your basic goal is to reach 3.0GHz, so there's three main things you'll have to keep in mind:

FSB Frequency
CPU Ratio
CPU Voltage

If your CPU ratio is 9X (which I believe it should be), then you should set your FSB Frequency to 333MHz. This means that 333Mhz x 9 will yield you 2997Mhz (or 3.0Ghz) for your overclock.

At the same time, whenever you're overclocking, you should find your optimum CPU Voltage to use. You should start messing with the VCore value until you find a stable overclock. For example, I started my experiments with a 1.41V, and worked my way down until 1.365V where the computer was stable. The lower the VCore, the lower your temperatures will be.

There are other small things you can toy around with in the BIOS like my thread shows, but start with these few things first and see if a stable, low-temp overclock is maintainable. You should download a couple of temperature monitoring programs such as Realtemp and Coretemp and use them to monitor your temps. Both are free and easy to download and use.

Hopefully this will give you a nice start to overclocking. Once I get back home, I'll check up on this thread so make sure to ask any questions you have. And if you have time, try to find out whether you have the B3 or the G0 revision of the chip. This will allow us to give you a better limit to the temperatures you'll see. The G0 chip handles heat better than the B3.

Cheers,

Ghost

ill read it
thanks
and here is a pic of CPUZ i have the G0 core :)
CPUz.jpg

crap
too big
how about
Untitled-1.jpg

there we go

Put the multiplier to 10. Change the FSB to equal 300Mhz. You shouldn't have to touch the voltage. Make sure to unlink your RAM and run that at it's rated speed. Or, you could put your FSB to 333Mhz and put the multiplier to 9. You still won't have to touch the voltage. Sure and simple. =D

ill read it
thanks
and here is a pic of CPUZ i have the G0 core :)
CPUz.jpg

crap
too big
how about
Untitled-1.jpg

there we go

Alright, great. That gives us a lot of wiggle room compared to the B3. This means that you can potentially overclock to higher speeds in the future without worrying about temperature too much, and also means that you can enjoy lower temps right now.

What rohan said about not touching the voltage is true, however you can potentially lower your temperatures if you can find the lowest required VCore that you'll be stable at. On Auto, I was seeing temps of 70*C, but by manually lowering my VCore, I saw temps drop over 10*C.

Chris

On Auto, I was seeing temps of 70*C, but by manually lowering my VCore, I saw temps drop over 10*C.

Chris

70C is insanely high. Are you sure you don't mean Fahrenheit? Are you using an aftermarket heatsink? What clock speed are you running at? What are your current voltages on your overclock?

he is using an arctic cooler pro 7. I don't think it will do that well with a quad core...

70C is insanely high. Are you sure you don't mean Fahrenheit? Are you using an aftermarket heatsink? What clock speed are you running at? What are your current voltages on your overclock?

Celcius. This was after 14 hours of quad-thread testing with Prime95 with 100% load @ 3204Mhz. My ambient temps are pretty high so I wasn't expecting anything less. Normal, idle temperatures are around 30-35*C, and if I can manage to have my room a little cooler I can see 26-27*C idles.

Current voltage...I'd have to double check honestly once I'm home.

Cheers

you would need a better CPU cooler to achieve those clocks at a decent tempurature

Back
Top Bottom