Help for a first time buyer

xxxLauraxxx

Beta member
Hi! I am considering buying a computer in the next week. I need it just for internet use, msn, some downloading, and the occaisonal document...in other words, I am a pretty light user. If anyone who knows computers could provide some input on the following systems in regards to whether they should suit my needs, and are worth the money, I would greatly appreciate it. (All computers from MDG and CDN$)

1. "Focus 2800" $679 taxes included
- Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.80 GHz, 256KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- 512MB Memory
- 80GB Hard Drive
- 40x24x40 CD-RW Drive (Free DVD Burner Upgrade)
- 3D Sound, 3D Graphics
- 17" CRT Monitor

2. "Focus 3000" $899 taxes included
- Intel Pentium 4 Processor (3 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- 512MB Memory
- 160GB Hard Drive
- 40x24x40 CD-RW Drive (Free DVD Burner Upgrade)
- 3D Sound, 3D Graphics
- 19" CRT Monitor

3. "Horizon 2800CL" $899 taxes included
- Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.80 GHz, 256KB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005
- Genuine Intel D845GVFN Motherboard
- 512MB DDR Kingston MEmory
- 80GB Western Digital 7200 RPM Hard Drive
- DVD Writer-Burner
- Intel Extreme Dedicated Graphics
- SoundMac 3D Sound, SPX and MIC, Pre-Amplifier
- Genuine Microsoft Internet Keyboard
- Genuine Microsoft Optical Mouse
- Microsoft Software Bundle
- 19" CRT Monitor

As well, I am considering the following upgrades:

- LCD Flat Panel Monitor $199 $18.95
- Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive $169 $16.59
- Double whatever memory purchased $129 $19.47
- 600W P.M.P.O Subwoofer / Speakers $39 $6.35

Thanks again!

Um...

I would go with the p4 system. Looks like more bang for the buck. Add to your list a good surge protector and maybe a UPS back up power supply. And as it's getting to be thunder storm season make sure you unplug evey thing when the forcast says bad weather ahead reguardless. I would hate to hear from you it got hit by lighting.
Oh yeah and do regular back ups.
If we here at the forum can be of any more help just come back and post your question.
Enjoy...

setishock.... Lightning? Sorry, but most of the world doesn't have problems with that. I don't know where you live, but that's pretty redundant advise, heh.

The Focus 3000 seems the best.. Though I've never been a big fan of windows or intel...

I would go with the 3000 series also. I would probably go for the free dvd upgrade but definately would keep the 19" monitor. The flat scree n they will upgrade you to is probably a 15" or even a 17" but for my $$$$ the 19" is a better deal. while the other upgrades are nice from what you say you will be doing... don't bother with it.The only exception is that if they are going to add a second 160 gig HDD then jump on that because if something fails then you would be able to get going again with the other one.

rakedog said:
setishock.... Lightning? Sorry, but most of the world doesn't have problems with that. I don't know where you live, but that's pretty redundant advise, heh.

The Focus 3000 seems the best.. Though I've never been a big fan of windows or intel...

I don't know where she lives but in Texas and Georgia we get the crap slapped out of us around this time of year. And hurricane season is cranking up so it's good advise all the way around. I have lived all over the world and have been witness to some nasty weather.
And you would be surprised at how many systems bite the big one from power surges generated by a storm miles away.

I already toasted a router, cable modem and two NICs by not protecting them. I would also suggest a UPS/surge-protector.

Thanks for the input! The consensus from everywhere / one that I've asked seems to be the P4...either that or they try to switch me to getting a Mac Mini heh.

Setishock: Thanks for the advice...I live in Ontario / Nova Scotia (School) and the weather is for the most part pretty calm so we don't have lightning storms very often, though on occaison they do happen, and I know people that have had their computers fried, so I will definitly be taking your advice as a "just in case" if I purchase a system. Now snow storms is something else...not sure what kind of damage they could do, but better safe than sorry :)

Rakedog: You seem to be among many that are not a fan of Windows or Intel... I've been prodded many times to switch to Linux but it's too much fiddling for me. (I don't know if that's what you use...if there's more OS other than those and MAC, I don't know about them :p)

Lurkswithin: The only reason that I want the flat panel monitor is because I move around alot between home, work, and school, so it would be lighter and smaller to move (I think?). I'm also used to using a laptop, so anything is better than a 14" screen ;)

It's all good stuff...thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom