Help with departioning my thumb drive

Jonathan_King

Baseband Member
I recently decided to divide my thumb drive into two 16GB partitions. After a little Googling the issue, I downloaded a bit flipper, to tell the computer it was removable storage, not removable media. Although it manage to waste my time, it did not work. In desperation, I took it to my mom's Mac, where its Disk Utility did manage to partition it. However, it refused to give the 2nd partition a format. The 2nd partition does not even show up in My Computer in XP, but I can see that it's there in Computer Management. When I tell it to format the partition, it says, "The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, restart the computer." Restarting did not help. I have not tried using the Mac to format the partition (or delete it), because I was wondering if there is a way in XP. In the mean time, I am stuck with a 15.6 GB flash drive. :( Can anyone help me?

That should be 15.05gb. Ever hear of GParted live for cd? You burn the iso download to a cd-r and boot from that to partition, repartiion, or even delete partitions as well as being able to format them for different OSs.

I just took a 16gb flash drive and turned into a recovery drive by seeing ubuntu installed on the first well actually second partition with a 10mb boot partition for Grub and a 12.9gb NTFS recovery partition. You simply right click on the partition to format it to the file system you want to see on it while booted from the live cd.

The latest 0.4.1-2 release is available free at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

For the general information and guide for use, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/generalities/gparted.htm with some additional screenshots seen at http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/screenshots.php

In the latest releases the partitioning tool appears in a window with what appears as a desktop unlike older releases and auto detects and configures the native resolution for your monitor no longer seeing the default 1024x768.

An excellent tool to work with since the open source people put a lot of effort into this over the years.

When simply looking at a 32gb flash drive you'll immediately see the 31+gb available due to how that works going from decimal base 10 units of measurement to binary base 2. That gets into the math there a bit.

Now split the 31gb in half to see less then 16gb like 15.5gb at best provided you saw the exact amount on each partition with an even split. In reality you rarely see two exactly the same unless using a partitioning tool like GParted with incremental adjusters included.

With GParted you can easily see the second partition you are looking to format set for Mac, Linux, or NTFS for Windows access easily.

You're welcome! :D You'll find that it's an easy tool to work with once you have used it a few times and generally reliable when having a good burn to disk.

Back
Top Bottom