help

Andrew Mcfadden

Solid State Member
I have a problem with a dell 2400 and have replaced the mother board and its still a no go. Although it went from doing nothing to getting a beep and different light codes. The codes say its the memory plus they are getting hot I can smell it. A and B lights are green the other two are yellow. The cards fill really hot and smell like they are burning. The one is like a forest green color the other is normal. I tryed pulling one at a time out and turning it of between each and nothing changed. Any help here would be fantastic thanks in advance. By the way I'm new and I don't know a lot but a little so take it easy on me please. I just wanted to try and get this running for the kids to learn off of so I was hoping for a cheap fix.

Might be short-circuiting,

It might be the motherboard short-circuiting on the metel computer housing, try looking where the motherboard sits in the case, make sure that no part other then the screw holes are touching the metel case.

First take the motherbaord, Power Supply Uint, Hard Disk Drive out, then rebuild it on a table then try turning it on short the power on by touching the power button prongs on the board (both the + and -) with a flat-head screw driver, if it is short-circuiting in the case, it should not short-circuit on the table.

Let me know how it goes, this is an intresting thread for me.

BTW, please put more then "help" in the thread title next time I.E "Help with overheating".

Cheers

P.S Default the BIOS Settings as well.

Last edited:
I have already done that and swapped the power supply and hard drive and it did no good. When I turn it on and sounds like its booting up then it stops then starts again. Nothing comes up on the screen and the lights on the key board or mouse don't come on. Hmmmm

This might not be the case, but it could be a virus.

Is it restarting after you see the BIOS screen?

I don't know much more sorry, I hope I at least gave you some tips for the future.

WYSIWUG said:
This might not be the case, but it could be a virus.

Is it restarting after you see the BIOS screen?

I don't know much more sorry, I hope I at least gave you some tips for the future.

I don't have a screen so I'm not understanding your question? Nothing comes up on the monitor and the lights don't come on the keyboard or mouse. I think I'm going to try ordering a new memory card and see what happens. I have a old friend I sent private message to that has made thousands maybe even millions so I'm waiting to see what he thinks. I'll just re build the whole thing if I have to I just don't like throwing parts at things when its not really needed. Thanks for your input that's why I joined ;)

Ok can you post the remedy if any please? As I said in my first post, this is a intresting thread for me.

I dont have any more input to add.

Hope it all goes well for you and your computer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom