HDD Problems!

jimbo_p

Solid State Member
:confused: In my home desktop build, I kept two hard drives, one for the system, and one for music, etc. Now I've just moved away for a while, so I bought an external HDD cradle to use my HDD with my laptop whilst away.

Only trouble is the laptop won't recognise the drive without having to format it (which kinda defeats the objective...)

Anyone know if there's a way to add the HDD to my laptop without having to format the drive?

Thanks in advance

Ok first up, when you insert the drive does it show in My Computer? Next- While your drive is in the machine - Right click on the My computer icon -> go to Manage -> Now go to Disk Management and tell me if you have the drive showing? See what drives do show and what type of format there running in e.g. NTFS, FAT. (what you see)

The Other thing that sometimes needs to happen is you need to update your BIOS firmware. This will allow your machine to pick up the drive stright away.

TEST--- Check what type both of your machines are using e.g. NTFS or FAT.

Thanks for your reply.

The laptop has one HDD, which is FAT32. Not sure what the desktop is, as it's in the UK and I'm currently in New Zealand! I get the feeling it may have been NTFS, though.
When I plug the drive in, it doesn't appear in My Computer, and in Disk Management, it comes up as Dynamic and Foreign, without a drive letter. The only option it gives is to convert the drive to Basic, at which point it prompts me to format the drive.

Would I get a BIOS update from the manufacturer website? The laptop is new (ASUS A6TC), so it should be up to date.

Running WinXP on the laptop and on the desktop, also.

I think the HDD i'm trying to connect might be NTFS, but can't be sure.

That still shouldnt be a problem not with XP, i bet its something simple but ive been on the beer lol. Have ya got any restrictions or stuff set to the drive when in the UK, that might be interfering now?

None that I know of, when I first installed it into the desktop i just plugged it in and it worked when i rebooted. This time I've tried all that and still nothing except if I format it. I've even tried messing around with jumper pins, etc. I assume it should just be left to slave mode?

The drive spins when plugged in, and I get the usual windows sound when hardware is added, so the comp is recognising it. I just can't get access to it!

Could ya have possibly damaged the drive, download the diagnostic tools from ya HDD manufacturers website and run that, try another cable with it aswell. Can ya get access to another computer and try it on there aswell.

ok im sober now heres what to do lol. Goto disk management and right click the foreign drive. Then click import foreign disks. That should sort it for ya mate

OK so you can see it in the Device Mang. When you right click on the drive do you get the option to Make partition Active? Now you should be able to make the computer force the drive into working. But it might want to change the format of the drive over to NTFS. But you should get the option to format or not.......

TIP: Many people these days have memory sticks/ pen drives (whatever you wish to call them). Now i have known them to do the same problem that is happening with your drive, and its due to the format of the drive is not working e.g FAT on a NTFS system. So Choosing the Make Active works with memory sticks to. I know this is not your problem, but it has the same affect with both hard drives and memory sticks.

Back
Top Bottom