HD DVD or Blue Ray player & other TV stuff I should get?

Okay first I want to thank everyone for there input on helping me decide which TV to get. I emailed my mom the other night and she ordered this Toshiba 42" 1080P TV for me last night. She thought it would be easier to just have it shipped to me rather then bring it down with them when the come down for Xmas. So the ETA is 12/12 so I want to order some stuff for it but i'm kind of in the dark about some of it.

1. First off I'm going to need either a HD DVD player or Blu Ray player. Which should I get? I'd like some good links for a actual stand alone unit and also possibly one for the computer. Don't really need a burner just a HD player. Also i've seen upscaling normal DVD players would this be worth it for all my current DVD's or will they play on a HD or blu Ray player?

2. This leads me to the next question. I'm using Vista Ultimate and i've been thinking maybe I could just hook it up to the computer to use as a media center. In which case i'm going to need a TV tuner card for the computer right? Whats a good card that works well with Vista 64bit?

3. Now if I decide to hook it up through my computer with the TV tuner card will I still be able to use my dual displays and use that as a 3rd display hooked up via the tuner? I was thinking of taking the top portion of my desk off and wall mounting it behind the computer desk.

4. Is the TV I selected going to have any problems with possible burn in if I hook it up to the desktop?

5. Everyone is always talking about HDMI ports and thats how I need to hook it up for 1080P. What does the HDMI port convert to on my receiver?

6. Right now I have Dish Network. I don't have a HD DVR receiver its just the basic DVR 625 unit. So until I upgrade to a HD receiver and HD package it will just convert down to standard resolutions right? Also some input on the best type of package to get for those that already have dish networks HD service would be nice. I have HBO and Starz on my package and at the start of a movie it always says in HD were available. Does that mean its in HD if I have a HD tv or do I need to order a special HBO & starz movie package? Also if I convert to a HD reciever the 2nd receiver is in my living room but its a non HD tv. Will it work with the non HD living room TV or will I need to convert that to my 2nd dish network receiver box running tv's 3 and 4?

7. Whats going to be the best way to hook it through the satellite? Until I get a TV tuner card anyways. After I get the TV tuner card I assume I just hook the satellite receiver into the Tuner card then connect the tuner card output to HDMI on the TV right.

8. Once I do that is the sound going to come through the TV or my PC. I have a dolby receiver and would like to hook up my 5.1 somehow and have the sound come through that when its hooked to my PC.

Okay I think thats my questions right there. Sorry if there kind of jumbled up in there but i'm new to the world of HD and want to make sure I get everything setup the best I can. Thanks for the help again guys!

Well, to tell you the truth its really hard to decide. If you rent from blockbuster, get blu-ray, but there is no clear winner yet. If price is important, go with HD-dvd, if you can go with a double player. I can find a link for a combo internal drive on newegg. I think it was about $300.

Okay first I want to thank everyone for there input on helping me decide which TV to get. I emailed my mom the other night and she ordered this Toshiba 42" 1080P TV for me last night. She thought it would be easier to just have it shipped to me rather then bring it down with them when the come down for Xmas. So the ETA is 12/12 so I want to order some stuff for it but i'm kind of in the dark about some of it.

1. First off I'm going to need either a HD DVD player or Blu Ray player. Which should I get? I'd like some good links for a actual stand alone unit and also possibly one for the computer. Don't really need a burner just a HD player. Also i've seen upscaling normal DVD players would this be worth it for all my current DVD's or will they play on a HD or blu Ray player?

2. This leads me to the next question. I'm using Vista Ultimate and i've been thinking maybe I could just hook it up to the computer to use as a media center. In which case i'm going to need a TV tuner card for the computer right? Whats a good card that works well with Vista 64bit?

3. Now if I decide to hook it up through my computer with the TV tuner card will I still be able to use my dual displays and use that as a 3rd display hooked up via the tuner? I was thinking of taking the top portion of my desk off and wall mounting it behind the computer desk.

4. Is the TV I selected going to have any problems with possible burn in if I hook it up to the desktop?

5. Everyone is always talking about HDMI ports and thats how I need to hook it up for 1080P. What does the HDMI port convert to on my receiver?

6. Right now I have Dish Network. I don't have a HD DVR receiver its just the basic DVR 625 unit. So until I upgrade to a HD receiver and HD package it will just convert down to standard resolutions right? Also some input on the best type of package to get for those that already have dish networks HD service would be nice. I have HBO and Starz on my package and at the start of a movie it always says in HD were available. Does that mean its in HD if I have a HD tv or do I need to order a special HBO & starz movie package? Also if I convert to a HD reciever the 2nd receiver is in my living room but its a non HD tv. Will it work with the non HD living room TV or will I need to convert that to my 2nd dish network receiver box running tv's 3 and 4?

7. Whats going to be the best way to hook it through the satellite? Until I get a TV tuner card anyways. After I get the TV tuner card I assume I just hook the satellite receiver into the Tuner card then connect the tuner card output to HDMI on the TV right.

8. Once I do that is the sound going to come through the TV or my PC. I have a dolby receiver and would like to hook up my 5.1 somehow and have the sound come through that when its hooked to my PC.

Okay I think thats my questions right there. Sorry if there kind of jumbled up in there but i'm new to the world of HD and want to make sure I get everything setup the best I can. Thanks for the help again guys!

Ok ill try to be as brief as i can

1. HD dvd is cheaper. Blu-ray is more popular. Both also upscale regular dvd's to 1080i/p. Get whatever you want.

2. TV tuner cards are for recording tv. what you want to do is hook up your tv to your computer, right? well your video card will have an output, just get a DVI to HDMI converter, and DONT USE S-VIDEO OR COMPOSITE

3. Above answer ^^^^

4. LCD's don't suffer from burn in

5. If your receiver is not HD, you will NOT receive any HD programming, and therefore you will not have a HDMI port. Get a new receiver.

6. If none of them are HD, then no HD channels.....period. You need an HD receiver + special channel packs like HBO and stuff and they appear on different channels than the regular HBO

7. Makes no sense.

8. it will come through your pc, unless you hook up the output from your sound card to the sound system

how about this get a ps3? blueray player cheep and upscales dvds and u can game on it! internet browser load linux os
put in any size laptop hard drive

THis is tough, on having to choose between Blu-ray and HD DVD. In terms of technology, Blu-ray can currently store more on a single side of a disc than HD DVD and it's way popular too. And if you're an XBox 360 fan, it's compatible with an HD DVD reciever. A couple of disadvantage of HD DVD player comes to mind and one of them is that right now, they don't have the support for regional coded discs, but in the future, it will be able to--just as the Blu-ray player can do that now. The second disadvantage is the lack of 1080p output capability. Most HD DVD players can upscale to 1080i easily. However, don't get discouraged. The new Toshiba models and other 2nd gen HD DVD players are now beginning to support 1080p!!! Just look at the specs before you buy.

Oh, HD DVD doesn't have the same level of gaming support as Blu-Ray. While Microsoft's Xbox 360 features an add-on HD DVD attachment, no games are currently available in that format :(. Or are they now?

On the hardware side, HD DVD has the backing of industry giants like Microsoft and Intel :) while Blu-ray does not. But they both have support from Samsung, LG, and those kind of companies too so that's good.

Plus, HD DVD are generally cheaper compared to Blu-ray players--if not, competitively priced. What's unique to the HD DVD format is the ability to have a "twin disc" capability, which allows both HD DVD content and DVD content to be imprinted on the same disc. Twin discs are HD DVD on one side and normal DVD on the other, which allows them to be played on both HD DVD players and DVD players. Neat.

And of course, just like Blu-ray, HD DVD players will be able to read and play DVDs and CDs, which means your existing collection of movies and music won't become obsolete, hehe.

Made up your mind yet? Still a tough decision huh? HDMI output is the way to go. Techinically, it's exactly the same like DVI as far as the picture quality goes, but the only difference is in the sound. You see, HDMI can also transport high quality sound whereas DVI does not. It's stricly a video feed. I hope DVI goes out. I want HDMI to be the mainstream standard. Get HDMI no matter what. The HDMI/DVI adapters are available so no worries there. Very common for those that still want to use their PC output to HD source.

Personally, I wouldn't get either BluRay or HD DVD just yet. Wait til there's a clear winner. You don't want to take a chance and end up wasting your money on the loser.

That's what all the critics and reviews say too. They're pretty much still up for grabs as far as standards go. This year has recorded record breaking sales for HDTV though, which comes to no surprise. A lot of channels now are broadcasting in HD so that's a plus.

Back
Top Bottom