Having diffaculty installing my new HDD as a storage drive.

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Having diffaculty installing my new HDD as a storage drive.

here's what I've done
1.powered down PC then unplugged.

2. inserted the new HDD in the front mount tray and pressed it into case.

3.booted up.

4.startright click computer

5.disk management.

6.never saw the HDD initiaize wizard.

I am assumming there is a 12V power wire connected to the backplane of tray because I heard the HDD make a wize noise.

since I didnt get to the initiaize wizard doe's this mean there is no SATA wire connected to back plane of tray?

Thanks STB

Last edited:
There are many possibilities. If you want assistance, you need to let people know the exact make, model, of your machine. If you built it yourself, give use the make & model of the case.

All I can say for now is....you need to check and make sure that the HDD is powered up, and that a working SATA cable, is plugged into the HDD, and the motherboard. Only you can see that.

Not sure what tray you are talking about but if you didn't plug any cables into the drive then more than likely it isn't getting power and probably isn't connected to a controller.

Not sure what tray you are talking about but if you didn't plug any cables into the drive then more than likely it isn't getting power and probably isn't connected to a controller.

Yeah, that's why I asked him for the make, model, case, something???

There are cases where you just slide in a drive, and it will "snap" into place when the SATA plug, and power connector are fully engaged. My Cooler Master Storm Trooper case is like that. Very convenient for changing drives, but I don't know what he's using.

acerhdd.jpg

I assummed it was a HOT SWAP drive bay becauce the MOBO has 6 SATA ports and there are 3 wires connected OS HDD, DVD and tray.I assumme the 3rd SATA cable is for the tray I have never physicalley traced it.

windows 7 64 bit.

new HDD is 2TB dam I'm kindof feeling real stupid not verifiying if mt MOBO can surport this size drive.

http://www.support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2010/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_M3910_Book_03272010.pdf

I check the BIOS
AHCI port 1 HDD
AHCI port2 ATAPI CDROM
3 not detected
4 not detected
port 5 HDD
port6 not detected

so the bios is detecting 2 HDD previously I only had one HDD

edit when I got to unallocatedspace I did see a 1862.0GB drive which is a 2TB HDD was expecting the initiazie wizard prior ?

I don't see this drive in my computer probabley because I haven't assigned a drive letter correct?
Thanks STB

Last edited:
Yes, you need to initialize the drive in "Disk Management", and you must assign a drive letter, or OK the drive letter that Windows assigns. Never "assume" anything, always trace cables to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom