Haven't had my computer working for 87 days need advice

tsh

Baseband Member
Like the topic says...

I have a Dell Xps 3 system

3.4 Intel P4 with HT technology
Level 1 (l1) cache 16 KB
Level 2 (L2) cache 1-MB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Intel 03
Pentium 4
3.4 GHZ/1M/800
SL758 Malay
L419A700

2 GB of 533-MHZ DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

Ati x800xt graphics card

Sound blaster Audigy 2

My computer stopped working about 87 days ago... Dell has delayed and delayed the parts for my computer and never has fixed anything... I am thinking of taking them to small clams to sue and probably will. They said they are sending me another computer (not new) to me in about 10 days… then when ten days passed 15… then 20…. I called them 70 times already and they do nothing to help... They lie about if it's shipped or not or if it's even in stock... They are not even in the US for tech support. And after 87 days with my 4 year warranty which cost about 300-400$ I figure it is never going to be fixed and I can not wait any longer.

My question is

What can I buy to get my computer working? I don't know what's wrong with my computer it just doesn't turn on.

Sound card and graphics card work perfectly...

I am thinking of taking the parts out of my computer that still work and replacing everything in a new case...

What kind of mother board should I get?

What processor?

Power supply?

And what kind of cooling if needed

I use this computer for business (real estate which is nothing demanding on the computer just a lot of info) and just to play around with games (FEAR, Bf2 Black and White 2 etc)... For games res of 1200 and settings all on high... best of the best I guess I would need. Or just something I wouldn't have to upgrade in about a year or 2

I looked at newegg but there is just too many parts to pick from... ranging from 1000 to 200 for a Intel processor... but I don't know if a processor like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214 will ever really be needed... Or will an AMD be better... But then again they range from 100 to 900.

Then what power supply would I need?

And what are good chases?

Also should I get rid of my 2 GB of 533-MHZ ram and buy 2 GB of 667-MHZ ram? Or is there no real difference and its not needed? Ram is very cheap so it wouldn't be a big deal if it's better.

Is Dual core processors or Extreme Dual core processors needed for what I use? Or just a waste for most things?

When Ati comes out with x1800xt I will be getting that. Think its sometime in November

What sound card should I buy? Which is the best?

I guess ill I need is

1) Chase
2) Sound Card
3) Power supply
4) Processor
5) Mother board
6) Any cooling if needed and cables that are needed to install

I just won't to get the main parts but keep it cheaper then what I bought for the whole computer. I pretty much need all the main components replaced. Any help would be great... just can't wait any more for my computer to work. I keep track of everything in it that I do… I'm most likely losing money probably more then I think

wow. and i watch dell commercials with ther five star support and whatever u wanna call it. well dont touch it yet. leave it for a while. and see wat they do. sue first talk lata.

WEll... just get a new comp for now, I guess...until you sue that is... lol... anywas... the x1800xl is out now. A good case is one that has removable mobo. Any atx case with that is good. the x-fi sound card kicks. A psu is the ultra x connect 500w. A cpu is the new amd x2's or the fx series. A mobo is an asus sli or msi. A cooling fan is a zalman. If you want links or anything else, just post.

Links etc... Is mostly what I am looking for... because I didnt understand any of what you posted

Dell has a 5 star ratting... Because all they do is send you emails to rate there service 1-5 and when you are on the phone with them they tell you to rate there service...

almost every time.. I have over 50 emails of this

It's really just a load of cra@

How much are you willing to spend on a new PC build?

That sucks about what happen to you from Dell. Take it to small claims to see if you got a case. They have free consultations. As long as you tried...

trying to save money

but I dont really have a spend limit

Wont top line.. but just whats needed for my work and games like whats posted above... (((not and over kill))) dont wont to play all my past games on low like I have been for 2-3 years

If you need to go by something...

F.E.A.R

everything high and res of 1200.. with no fps issues

I was able to do this before but no soft shadows..

a friend over clocked the card for me but dont know to what and anti was on 2 or off.. can not remember

also res was lower.. this is why I was looking into a x1800xt in nov when it comes

Dont really have a limit but hopping its a little cheaper seeing how I have 40% of the parts still with me

GO for an overhaul and switch over to AMD:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

Great CPU for the price.

Free GURU While Supply Last
ABIT AN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127197

eVGA 256-P2-N525-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130248

I'd suggest u get a dual core processor.
Soon most of the games are going to take full advantage of the dual core processing. FEAR already does this, don't know if there are any other ones out yet.

If u are going to use amd processors ddr2 ram won't work.

And for vid card go with evga 7800GTX. (link in trd's post)

U might also want to thing about getting a SLI mobo, then u can have 2 identical vid cards running, though if u get the 7800GTX u will be fine with it for some time. But then when it ain't enough u can just get another one.

Sli I think is a waste of money.... seeing how the next gen already gets the same fps or about the same as the last gen card even with 2 in sli...

Difference is he paid for 800-1000$ for that performance while the other person just paid 500$

I never had a nvidia graphics card.... not a fan boy of ati but that's all I ever had... all the way when the 7500 came out (right name?)

I wouldn't know much of anything about nvidia

What kind of tweak programs do they have?? For example Ati has the option to force triple buffering for both opengl and d3d... does nvidia have this?

Programs like ati tray tools... or rage3d tweak 3.9… does nvidia have any of this?

I have seen benchmarks of one 7800 against 2 7800s and most often is just 10-30 fps higher then just a single 7800

But I can not see a difference from 60 fps to 80 fps can you?

Then in a year when new things come out... a single card will be able to pull this performance out by itself… mainly why I do not see any point in sli right now..

I do not think it's really optimized for games yet...

Also a single x1800xt has been reported to be able to OC farther then 2 7800s in sli... And get a larger score in 3dmark...

which dual core should I get? They range from 600-1000

Back
Top Bottom