Hard Drives & Win XP

nikuma

Solid State Member
Hi all

Just wondering if anybody here knows what could be going on with my comp. I've installed 2 x 200gb WD Caviar HDDs in my system without running RAID. Everythings up & running but in windows the little "Click here to remove hardware safely" green arrow icon thing comes up in the icon tray and lists my hard drives as removable devices.

This isn't a huge concern for me but i really don't have any idea why two SATA hard drives would come up as removable devices. My fear is that someone might click to remove one of them and all hell may break loose.

Any ideas? My full specs listed below.

Thermaltake Armor Tower SILV
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Skt939
MSI K8N Diamond S939 MB
KT KVR400X64C25/1024 DDR 400MHz
WD Caviar 200GB 7.2K SerialATA
LG 16X+-Dual Layer DVR/RW BLK
MSI NX6800GT-T2D256 PCI-E

Cheers!

Many SATA drives show up this way in windows. I have 2 PCs that use SATAs and they both have that icon. I think it's because so many people use external SATA drives these days. My MB even comes with external SATA and Power connections for this.

Thanks Methost, you've eased my mind - thought i was the only one. Thanks also to Tommy, it's running well so far - nice and fast :D

One other thing... The only reason i don't have these drives setup for RAID is that when i created the array and started windows setup (slipstreamed with my sata/raid drivers & SP2) the drives would be detected but windows would get as far as copying the setup files to my comp then restart. On boot it would then report a "A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart your computer" and i couldn't get any further. This has never happened to me when i've tried to set RAID up, makes me think.. Any suggestions for this?

Nope. I have never set a raid for the OS. Makes fixing things a bit difficult if something goes wrong. I keep the OS on a Raptor 36gb and my games on a raptor 70gb.

If I was going to use a RAID on my system it would just be for things that I can reinstall easy of something goes wrong (like games)

Back
Top Bottom