Hard Drive Temps

MikeReiner

Golden Master
About an hour ago, I was playing some UT2004. When I got out, I decided to check my temps. My hard drive temps were 44C and 43C!! (two hard drives).

The 44C was a 200GB western digital IDE ATA100
The 43C was a 80GB western digital IDE ATA100

This was the highest I had EVER seen those temps, I was scared shitless for a moment there. So I shut my pc down, took the side of the case off, and put a 21" wind tunnel fan on it. Now the temps are both at 33C.

I have a feeling the summer is going to be brutal with my PC... Back when I built this computer, (start of may), my temps were quite low. 27C cpu, 28C case, 36C on both hard drives. This was without the fan. The weather here is getting hotter... I hate the idea of leaving this 21" fan on all summer... so loud.. my system was very quiet without it...

Well, I have one 120mm fan on the back of my case... in the front, there is a vent.

It looks like I can install a case fan at the front of the case... now,

If I was to have the back case fan blow out exhaust, and the front case fan to suck in air... would this help out the air flow or what?

Cool, i'll see what I can do about getting a decent fan. Hopefully one with a switch for different RPM speeds...

Hard drives to get pretty hot at times considering that they spin and move constantly.

With a hard drive cooler I saw a 2degree difference, not much :( My hard drive runs at about 37c

Hey Mike! Don't get too worried about that temp on your hard drive. Mine was running at 52c the other day. Now I use a desk fan with the case opened up. It keeps my hard drive around 32c. Its not loud either. Anything below 55c is OK, past that things can start to wear down much faster then desired. It will even run at 65c, but at this temp, you might want to start shopping for a new H. drive. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom