Hard Drive Squeaks When Turned on after being off for a while

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I bought a brand new Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive from newegg and it works really nicely except when I leave the computer off for a while and then turn it on again.

When it starts to load windows xp, it emits a high pitched squeak sound and just doesn't load windows xp; just keeps up the "Loading Windows XP" dialogue and the status bar continues to move so it's not a complete freeze.

I usually have to restart it once or twice before it loads with no problem. Then, if I leave it on for as long as I like I experience no problems.

Even a simple restart doesn't bring the symptoms. It's only if the computer has been off for a while...

Thanks

If it squeaks, the internal stuff is damage. Return it ASAP or else...something could happen.

Imagine a 7200RPM disc that flyies in your room. You better get outa there or it can kill you...

Ok I was just checking because I did some looking around and apparently some WD drives do that. Thanks!

Ugh... This is going to be my second RMA to newegg with hard drives :( So it's worth it to RMA though? I mean the drive works fine when it doesnt squeak...

hahahah the one before the WD was a Maxtor and that broke too :p

My plan is to buy the new HD from newegg first, put it in my comp, and use a bootable program to completely copy the old HD to the new HD, and then RMA the old HD.

What would be the BEST program to just transfer ALL the data (so the new HD functions EXACTLY THE SAME), including registry stuff? I'm willing to pay for the software.

Thanks

My Western Digital does that sometimes... It still works though. And it only will do it for a few milliseconds now, used to it always lasted about 5 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom