Hard drive no longer quiet

BurstZX

Beta member
Well I have had this laptop for about 3-4 months now and just yesterday I have noticed the has been making noise and is no longer quiet. The noise isn't that loud but it is noticeable. It kind of sounds like hair clippers but not as loud and its more of a constant sound until I power off my laptop. I used my disc defragmenter 0% of it being fraged. I did error checking and that finished fine. I'm kind of worried because I don't want to have to get a new laptop after I recently bought this one.
The laptop is a Gateway NV75S26u

If the HDD is making a clicking sound BACKUP IMMEDIATELY. Its called "the click of death".

Yup, yup, a clicking sound from a HDD is like a wavering car driven by Lindsay Lohan, it's only a matter of time before it crashes.

You won't need a new laptop, most likely just a new hard drive. As others have said, back-up any critical data immediately, there's no telling how long you've got.

Its not really a clicking sound more of a humming noise kind of like a vacuum but not as loud.

It's impossible for any one of us to say with any certainty without hearing the sound ourselves.

However, one thing is for certain, a HDD should be nearly silent. You should barely be able to detect it with your ear to the keyboard, directly over the HDD. Any noise louder than that should not be there, and usually indicates an impending failure.

Honestly it sounds like its spinning very fast, it will go off for a second then start spinning again. I'm not really downloading or doing anything.

HDD these days are meant to last about 4 to 5 years these days. After that, parts start to wear out and such. What could be happening is that the bearing is starting to wear out. Your best option is to just replace the drive. I just recently bought a 500 gig for my laptop at Newegg for $55. You could almost buy a solid state drive at the price now.

If you really can not afford going to route, which I feel is the best route, I can give you some steps so you can check the SMART status of the drive.

Back
Top Bottom