Hard Drive Help!

mweiss

Beta member
I recently purchased a new computer, and I would like to take the hard drives out of my previous two computers to access the information. I will soon be purchasing the proper enclosures, but I am not sure what to do about the operating system on the old hard drive. Will I still be able to access documents and pictures on the old hard drive when it is connected to my new computer without having to boot to the external drive?

Will I be able to remove the OS or format the drive without wiping the old hard drive clean?

Hhm i dont like that idea, you can mess up the cache for other files.

Boot your pc up in safemode command prompt. Then navigate with the arrows on the keyboard to Command Prompt (or MS DOS Prompt) and press Enter. You will end up with C:\<WINDOWS> type in cd so that you get C:\<WINDOWS>cd and press Enter. This gives you C:\ now type DEL WINDOWS with a space between del & windows so it looks like C:\DEL WINDOWS and press Enter. You will be asked if you really want to wipe the HDD clean (y/n) type y and press Enter. Then you will get something like Are you sure? (y/n) type y and press Enter. Then it should format drive C: Or if you already have a partition in place then you would clean that first. Then you should be able to re-install windows with your licence key and OEM Disk.

good luck.

-Leif

Will I be able to remove the OS or format the drive without wiping the old hard drive clean?
:confused:
I f you have an OS disk then you probaly have to Format, to partition.
Please explain better .How many drives are involved.

You can simply place the old drive into a USB enclosure and access all your files. There is no need to boot from the drive in order to access it.

NO
just make it your OS C:/ drive,then install the others.

Why? His new computer will have an OS on it. If all he wants to do is access the files then he can just plug it in via an enclosure or an internal connection and access the files. No formatting is necessary.

Why? His new computer will have an OS on it. If all he wants to do is access the files then he can just plug it in via an enclosure or an internal connection and access the files. No formatting is necessary.
``
Thats right,his OS in his new PC is C:Any others could be eg: D and E .to save files or format for his new hobby.
OS on D: will not boot OS normally.Needs Dual Boot.
No need for USB's if the MBD will connect his HD(s)
RIGHT ?

No need to wipe your drive if you plug it in internaly the pc will boot from it's primary drive the one that came with it and then anyother drive will come up as secondary the os on the other drive won't matter as long as you make sure you leave your original drive as the primary and all your others you make secondary sorry about the spelling :D

Back
Top Bottom