Hard Drive Help

Rocky3789

Baseband Member
OK hey everyone im new to this site and have recently upgraded my pc. Now this isnt a gaming PC of any type. Its mainly a multimedia PC (pic, video, music, etc...) Anyways I wont go into too much detail of what i have and just get to the point , but i have two hard drives one old & one new. My old one has only 80 GB and has my new OS (Vista)and other programs while my new HD with 500 GB is completely blank. How do i add all my future programs like divx, limewire, itunes, etc... to the new drive without it try to run off the old drive. For example i tried downloading limewire onto the new drive and i thought i did everything right but after running the program and seeing were all my media would be stored they were all on the old drive. It seemed that only the installation was saved on the new drive will the program was put on the old drive. I just want everything to be on the new drive not the old. Please help.....

Thanks Again

I assumed you have already formatted it, either FAT32 or NTFS. Assuming your old HDD has only been partitioned into one volume and your new one has only been partitioned into one volume, the 500GB storage should be denoted with a drive letter D. What you want to to with every future installation is to set to it installs to D:. Additionally, for programs that save files or that need a directory, you might have to manually select the folder you want the files saved to. In case of limewire, you want the destination folder for downloads to be in D:/[folder name]/[subfolder name]/ and so forth.

yea its been formated to NTFS but it wasn't donated with the drive letter D. Its was given J and im thinking it was only given that cuz C is my old drive D is my CD-RW drive, E is my DVD RW drive and F-I is a removable drive for different card reader sizes for example camera cards. So it gave it J.

Back
Top Bottom