Hard Drive detects imminent failure

menito

Solid State Member
Hi, I need help.
Every time I restart or turn on my computer I get the following message.

"1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.
Your hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup content and replace this hard disk.
Attribute failed: # 10
Initializing agent Version 4.0.19
PXE 2.1 Build 083 (WFM 2.0)
RPL V2 . 73

I just take it I should buy a new hard drive and replace the old one, but I might be mistaken since I don't know anything about computers.

After I press on F1 BOOT everything aparently comes to function to normal.
Please I need help,
menito

OK, I forgot to mention my computer is a COMPAQ Presario 5000
Windows XP Home 5.1 (Build 2600)
Free Space 34.18 GB
Used Space 14.88 GB

Thanks

well its wise to backup your inportant information anways but I suggest you try running a error check on the drive all you do is go to the properties of it and tools and the error-checking. check the check for bad sectors and attempt repair and let it run afterwards you can try restarting and see if you got that message still

vegaslon, thank you for your reply.
I did a CheckIt Diagnostics from Norton System Works and it passed the tests. Also did a Norton Disk Doctor test to check Drives C and D and no errors were found.
I will run the test again and also do what you advised me but I am not sure how, but I think is something like this ~ going to Start, and left click on My Computer then click on properties and go to Tools and select Error Checking and I will post the results as soon I am done with the tests.
Also I did a back up of the information I could use in case of loosing all the information, thanks.
menito

I did the way you said and nothing. Also run antivirus and Ad-Aware SE and nothing.
Then the program NIS kept giving me the alert about a computer trying to connect mine! I read the info about this alert and it explained it might be a trojan already installed on my computer.
Later I deleted a file I downloaded from the internet, and check my NSW and it no longer showed "Problem with Hard Disk" and after rebooting the message did not appeared anymore.
Thank you for your help and I glad I got rid of the problem without replacing the Hard Disk as the Hard Disk Failure message was sugesting.
Even though I will never know the real cause of the problem (trojan, Malware, etc) I am fine now.
Thanks vegaslon for your prompt response!

Smart Alert...

I have need seen or heard of a smart alert being a false alarm. BACK UP your drive.
Edit: Although what you posted last suggests a trojan, I personally would not trust that drive till 30days has gone past with no alerts. In the mean time do regular back ups.

Re: Smart Alert...

setishock thank you, it is very possible since those alerts form NIS are ttriggered by other factors. Norton System Doctor shows no problems anymore.
And you are correct, I am still suspicious about the problem since some traces might be in the system and reinstall later by itself. Hope the problem is gone.

PS. Thank you money_man.
c

Back
Top Bottom