Hard Drive?

Larisa

In Runtime
Hi All!!!

Well it's been a while but I've been very busy. I became a US citizen last May and I moved to Las Vegas about 10 weeks ago. I've been busy with other things also but I won't go into them.

My problem is my computer trys to boot up but never makes it. It trys to load MS Vista OS but stalls and then freezes. I tried booting from a disc also but the same thing happens. Is it the hard drive or is the installed MS Vista corrupted? Maybe something else?

Thanks in advance.

It could be a corrupt install of windows or it could be something to with your hard drive, Try reinstalling windows again and see what happens..

it could be the hard disk and also the other possibility here is the memory is failing do you get any errors come up or anything like that. does the computer make it as far as windows.

Download this

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

and burn the iso to a cd using a cd recorder

or use

Free ISO Burner

once you have burned this to the cd reboot the pc and wait for the cd to load then press 1 or let it load normally and run the test if you get 2 passes or more you know then it is looking like the hard disk I can give you some software the check the hard disk as well you can download it from media fire.

let me know how you get on with this first,

Kind Regards

About 20% of the time Windows will start but then it freezes/locks and I can't do anything. I got Windows to come up this morning and I started to install Windows but once again the computer locked and this cause the installation to stop.

So, what do you think ... corrupted Windows, bad hard drive, or something else?

Congrats on being a US citizen. :thumb:

How far along are you able to get when you boot off of the CD?
Can download Memtest86 on another computer? (friend or relative)
What if you remove all but 1 of the sticks of and try each one seperately?

have you not access to another, either at a friends house another computer or libary pc or even internet cafe that you could use to download and burn the file to a cd to run.

try and see if someone can help you with this or take it to an pc Technician to repair it for you.

but try and get hold of or lend a pc to do it yourself it will be the diffrence between £80.00 and £15.00 - £20.00.

I will be here to help you if you get access to a computer.

Good Luck

Kind Regards

Thanks for the congrats J Mac! :)

I have access to another computer and I downloaded the memtest but the computer freezes/locks before I can even start the test.

I guess the only thing I can do is buy a new hard drive and reinstall windows.

don't buy the hard disk just yet get a peace of memory first as it sounds more like the memory to me.

install the memory in to the pc and see if it fixes the problem memory is a lot cheaper than a hard disk for you to buy.

Back
Top Bottom