Hard Drive

Techy Geek

Daemon Poster
I need to get a hard drive for my new computer, but I'm not sure what to look for, I know I need a good capacity (I'm looking for 80 gigs, getting more is pointless) and I know a good RPM is good (I want over 75000 RPM, but they're difficult to find) and I want a SATA. Apart from that, I'm lost, can someone direct me to a good hard drive. I dont want anything more than 80 gigs, I cant see the point, at a stretch, 100 gigs at the most. So far I've got this
http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2521615
but I'm not sure if its any good

Um...75000RPM.....WOULD cost you about 853465123y85612357345347534872USD of course (yes im aware there is a "y" in there)

You must mean 7500....7200 is as good as you will get without getting a raptor. SATA is great because of speed, if you are looking for more speed go with hitachi and if you are looking for reliability and simplicity and quietness.....then go samsung.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152018
I have that and it runs quiet, fast as hell, and perfectly!

lol, thanks for that, I'm sure I've seen that page before somewhere, but its only ATA, this is gonna be a hardcore comp, not to pooh pooh what I'm sure is a good hard drive.
I mean 7500, but I'm looking for a 10000 RPM, they arent very easy to find, but the one I made a link for looks quite good, SATA, 8megs cache, good.
can anyone else offer their opinion on that hard drive

edit: yes, you may like them both, but so do I, I want to see which is better, im trying to build a no-expenses-spared PC, although I've no doubt my parents will beat me down to a lower spec PC

clarification: the drives come in 72000RPMs and 10000RPMs.. There is no 75000RPM..

This is about the best deal that you will find for a 10000RPM SATA HDD;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

The 10000RPM models generally run less GB in size than the 72000RPM models. The extra cost for the higher speed rating is the reaso why. They are usually installed as the primary drive and then the 72000RPM drive can be used as a storage drive or backup. asthere is really no reason for the higher speeds in those applications. If you do you switch your drives out you will have to be sure the drivers are installed as the drive will be invisible to your system.
I believe that you will actually need to reinstall your OS as that can't be transfered over to a sata hdd and work properly as the drivers are needed to be installed so as to be able to boot from the drive. A simple recovery may be able to solve that but I am not that sure.

thanks for that lurks, that hard drive is sexy, it has HALF the average access time than the other drives that I've seen, thats a must have, thanks a hell of a lot. In the reviews there were people saying that they installed windows in 10 MINS. wow

sorry about continually getting those RPM's wrong, it appears my hard drive knowledge is not up to par. but that certainly is good.

I didnt understand what you said about it on the bottom of your post there lurks, can you explain, so are you saying I need drivers or something. I dont understand

Back
Top Bottom