Graphics/Video advice needed

markw65

Solid State Member
hi. i want to add a xfx 7600 gt card to allow me to better play some games. my pc has a card in it with a wintv tuner on it. i have the extra pci-e slot but did not know how or if i could use both cards. will i have trouble running the two? is there anything i will need to know? i know i need a better power supply but just not sure if there is anything i need to do to set up the new card so i can also keep the existing with the tv tuner. i'm going to try to post a few pictures as well as my computer info. thanx in advance for any help, advice or suggestions.

gateway 5084
amd athalon 64 x2 processor 4200+
dual-core 64-bit processor with amd 64 technology
2.2 ghz, 2 x 512kb cache, 2000 mhz system bus
nvidia geforce 6100 integrated graphics
pci express slot available
320 gb hard drive
2048 mb ddr dual channel memory
windows xp media center edition

Nope, you shouldn't. I have a TV Tuner and a video card on my PC too. Works great. Watch TV and play games at the same time, hehe. Is the PCI-express slot the PCI-e x16? That's where you want to plug the video card into.

not sure. don't know too much about it. still learning. i have pictures but not sure how to get them on here. you know how? THANX! :)

Hmmm, it's hard to make out that first black slot. Does it have a notch at the end? If so, then it's a PCI-express x16 for a video card.

i believe it is. i can find out. if so, i just install it and use pc as normal? nothing special to do or set up to use both together? also any suggestions for good power supply?

Yes. You plug the video card in and attach the monitor cable to the back of the new video card. If everything goes right, it will boot up right away and you'll get picture. Since you're using integrated graphics, the BIOS may autodetect your new video card and just switch over. If it doesn't, you will have to manually go into BIOS setup and disable the integrated onboard graphcs. Then after installing it, your display may look ugly (all bloated with huge icons and letters). You can download new drivers from nvidia.com or use the driver CD that comes with your new video card. As for a power supply, you might be able to use what you have now. How much watt does it have? See if you can open up the case and look on the side of the power supply. Usually, it will tell you how many watt there.

Back
Top Bottom