Graphics Card issue

mattlaker

Beta member
Hi,

I am having a problem with my graphics card- in short, most of the time, there is no display, just a graphics POST beep code. When it does work, after removing the cmos battery, it will run for a couple of minutes before the whole display goes black. I am thinking the best course of action is going to be replacing the graphics card, however, I can't get onto the computer long enough to be able to disable the graphics drivers. I am assuming that graphics cards are not PnP, and wondered if there was any advice. There is no integrated graphics on the motherboard. (sorry for lack of tech info as to makes etc- I am at work and don't have that information to hand).

Is it possible to remove the graphics drivers from the hard drive by connecting this to another PC and going into the system files?

Matt

Which OS? And if Windows, would you be able to log on long enough with safe mode?

It sounds like that your video card may be going bad. Try rebooting to safe mode with VGA and see if it sticks. If it did, it may be the drivers gone corrupted or outdated. Reinstall the drivers for the card not the windows drivers.

If it turns off then check that it is fully seated in the slot. I've seen cases like that where the card came partially pulled up because of the bracket. When it's seated you cannot see the contacts at all.

If all else failed replace the card.

Back
Top Bottom