A good Computer?

Seanw725

Beta member
How much should a computer run around (price) that has these specs?

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20GHZ, and 512MB RAM,180BG Hard-Drive, Geforce Ti 4200 with AGP8X, OS: Windows XP

What's your definition of "good"? Cause, by todays standards, that's not a very good comp at all. With dual core cpus, gpu's capable of 2 on one board, 1gb becoming the bare minimum, that's just not a "good" computer, by my defition, meaning being able to do everything, etc, computer-wsie that is. If "good" means that it can surf the web, be able to type documents, play music, etc. (on that level), then yes, it's a good comp. I'd say $350, at the most. The xp is a good cpu, but just can't really keep anymore. 512mb is ok, but just don't do anything memory-intensive. The same with the ti4200. I remember when that was top-of-the-line, but that was... excuse me... a very long time ago... yeah...

jac006 said:
What's your definition of "good"? Cause, by todays standards, that's not a very good comp at all. With dual core cpus, gpu's capable of 2 on one board, 1gb becoming the bare minimum, that's just not a "good" computer, by my defition, meaning being able to do everything, etc, computer-wsie that is. If "good" means that it can surf the web, be able to type documents, play music, etc. (on that level), then yes, it's a good comp. I'd say $350, at the most. The xp is a good cpu, but just can't really keep anymore. 512mb is ok, but just don't do anything memory-intensive. The same with the ti4200. I remember when that was top-of-the-line, but that was... excuse me... a very long time ago... yeah...
And what are today's standards? only people who actually upgrade every year or two will have a system at the level you describe as today's standards. Game devs try to make thier games friendly towards older hardware.. that CPU is actually very close in terms of performance to mine (Barton core, gotta love 'em. The best XP core ever.) That GPU can actually play CS Source at 1024x768, texture, model, shadow, and shader on high and manage a good 70 fps or so (coarse it runs in DX8 with no aa, af, or hdr. I have one of these..)

So in terms of being a 'good' computer, it would play the majority of games out there with a perfectly acceptable detail to performance ratio.

If that PC had more memory and say.. a 6600GT or 6800GT, it would be a great system for the latest games.

That PC is IMO not really bad at all, couple cheap upgrades and it would be pretty nice.

my guess would be around 400. depends on what good is to you, to me "good" is being able to do everything you want it to do and get it done how you want. my computer specs. are 3.0GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB HD, 128MB video card and that's fine for me for now. I do plan to upgrade but not much because I don't do too much that's graphics intensive, i just web surf, email, IM, play a few games and listen to music; otherwise i'm not really pushing my computer to the limits. As long as those specs. are good enough for your standards, i'd say it's good.

Back
Top Bottom