Gonna build a rig, opinions??

You should link to each hardware, or post screenshot of your shopping cart with all the things added. Or both, preferably.

I can tell you really looked! I couldn't find a site that offers same thing with better price.
That RAM, seems like a bargain especially.

Well what are you going to be using this computer for? Like Gaming? Video Editing?

This will will be a gaming rig, nothing way to crazy, but I just want something that ill be able to run games like crisis 2 and battlefield 3 with ease.

I would go with a evga motherboard socket 1366. 1366 is an enthusiast socket and less likely to be phased out anytime soon. There is a small pci-e lane bottle neck that occurs with the 1155. (not a problem if you never want to SLI or crossfire.) Also, because your motherboard supports raid I would get 4 same sized discount drives and drop them into a raid 5 array. You can find discount hard drives for as little as $20 each. raid 5 offers increased performance, reliability and can keep running even if 1 drive fails. I would recommend you go with a antec or another reputable 750W psu. That gives you a much better margin of error. If you are gonna be gaming often with this rig, it would be advisable to upgrade away from the stock cpu cooler.

I would go with a evga motherboard socket 1366. 1366 is an enthusiast socket and less likely to be phased out anytime soon. There is a small pci-e lane bottle neck that occurs with the 1155. (not a problem if you never want to SLI or crossfire.) .

hmmm.. but would it be better to stick to sandy bridge or do you think that going to the 1366 socket would weigh out the sb?

One thing I'd recommend is a far better Power Supply Unit.

People often overlook the PSU and only look at the total combined wattage from all the rails. It is paramount that you have a decent PSU, otherwise you will get random restarts, BSOD, and general instability problems. In addition, it will heavily limit your upgrade potential.

The one you link to has two 12V rails, one at 20Amps and the other at 17. That's 444 Watts from the 12Volt lines and with a i5-2500k, your motherboard & memory and the GTX560, you'll be approaching that 444W on the 12 volt lines on full load. Besides, looking at reviews, raidmax seem to be a mixed bag.

Seriously, don't underestimate the importance of the power supply unit. In addition, some PSU manufacturers rate their PSU solely on the wattage of the 12V lines (the most important when the system is under load). This rating solely on the 12V lines, where others combine all the wattage on all the lines, means the definition of PSU wattage is not the same accross all manufacturers. Yours is rated as a 530W, and provides 444W of that via the 12V lines - and I can't see whether that is peak or continuous output. Mine's in comparison is rated as 650W but provides 650W of that on the 12V lines (54A) - countinous. Taking into account my 3.3V and 5V lines, Antec could have labeled it as a 826W power supply, but they're slightly more realistic to what the user needs so only take the 12V lines into account.

I strongly suggest you get a beefier PSU, and don't skimp on it. In my opinion, it's just as important as the quality of your motherboard. Your getting an Intel Motherboard, which will be rock solid for stability. Don't couple it with a low range PSU. It's dangerous to the health of the rig. Especially as you'll be bringing it's 12V lines to their limit under load.

Get an Antec/Seasonic/Corsair or something. Research it, and look at the reviews - preferably a group test with them all being put under load. Bittech/Custom PC will have that sort of thing on their website. Budget at least ~£60 (or whatever your local currency dictates) for a half decent PSU. You don't need to go nuts on a 1000W PSU - that's just silly, but get a decent brand and one that can pump out a decent ammount on the 12V lines - and ensure it's rating is continous and not just peak - it's a nasty way manufacturers get you to buy a sub-par product.

Don't get that PSU.

Anyway, that's my 2p. I might sound a bit too firm on this issue, but PSU's are widely under-appreciated and it may all end in tears....

Yea that was one of the things i was iffy about, that psu didnt seem very nice but it was modular so i picked it. But i will def look into a better one.

Back
Top Bottom