Games constantly freezing

akshay313

In Runtime
I built my computer a while back (around January) and lately its been freezing while playing some games (counter strike, oblivion) and then the computer restarts. Im guessing it has something to do with the pc temps but speedfan says its around 45 degrees c. My cpu fan and some small fan below the cd drives are the only fans i have currently.

my specs are

Intel core 2 duo E6400
Corsair 2gb ram
xfx 7600 gt
gigabyte 965p ds3

Any ideas on what the problem is or what i can do to fix it???

thanks

If you are running the Corsair Dominator ram, I would suspect that as the problem. Run memtest on the system and see what happens.

I would also try different versions of drivers and see what that gets you.

Hmmm, if it was the CPU overheating, it would've just shut down instead of restarting. I sure hope you have case fans too, like a side fan for intake, exhaust fans, etc. You didn't OC anything did you?

The Ram i am using is not the dominator ram. i installed the latest drivers for my video card from the nvidia website and the games are still freezing and the computer restarts.

i have a few case fans that came with my case. both of them are bringing air in though. also they aren't very powerful.

currently nothing is over clocked.

Is it giving you a error upon restart? If your getting a error and it contains a minidump.dmp in the log its your ram. Pull each stick and test them each individually in each slot. Also download the memtest86 iso and run. Make sure you do several passes it only does 1 stick at a time. Thats why I say pull it and test that way you can run say 5 passes on each stick.

if that 45C is the idle temp then that could be your problem.
Try running something like prime95 and monitor the temps so see how high they go.

ok so today when i was playing counter strike the game froze and the computer restarted. then while it was restarting the entire screen went black and nothing happened. so i manually restarted the computer and i got an error message before logging in saying that windows did not start properly. it gave me the option of restarting to last known working configurations and i did it. when i logged on it said windows has recovered from an error. i checked the log and the 2 files were:

C:\DOCUME~1\Akshay\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb150.dir00\Mini071707-04.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Akshay\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb150.dir00\sysdata.xml

The file is a mini.dmp file so i assume the problem is my ram and i should run memtest on each stick multiple times to confirm this.

Does anyone know what the second file is??

Currently im using speed fan to monitor my temperatures but im not sure what temperatures correspond with what parts of my computer.

There are 6 different readings under temperatures:

Temp1:37C
Temp2:37C
Temp3:-2C (<-- I dont know how this is possible)
HD0: 29C
Core0: 41C
Core1:43C

also keep in mind that there is a 2 foot wide stand up fan facing right into the case right now.

Are these temps 2 high??

Is it giving you a error upon restart? If your getting a error and it contains a minidump.dmp in the log its your ram. Pull each stick and test them each individually in each slot. Also download the memtest86 iso and run. Make sure you do several passes it only does 1 stick at a time. Thats why I say pull it and test that way you can run say 5 passes on each stick.

I called it ;) You have a bad stick. Pull both the sticks and look at the pins see if any are burnt out. If you can't see anything bad try one stick boot and run a game or memtest. If it locks up in the game or gives errors this is probally your bad stick. I had the same errors man get a few minutes of gaming in then bsod. Turns out 1 of my sticks of OCZ burnt a pin. Give me 15 minutes and i'll post a pic of what a burnt pin looks like!

As for the second file it has to do with the ram as well. Just google mini.dmp errors. You'll find countless forums with people discussing them and how it all points to a bad stick of ram.

Sorry it took so long. Freaking to shiny with flash on. To dim with flash off. I finally got a half decent picture. You can see the shiny pins at the bottom. Notice the left hand side how the first 2 are blackish burnt.

Burntpin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom