GA-X58A-UD3R - Need help please!

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
I have a gigabyte x58a-ud3r running windows 7.

When i press f8 to try to go to the page which gives me the option to boot from safe mode nothing happens, it just boots the OS normally. I have tried other keys such as f5, ctrl, ESC and others, ive also tried different ways of using them, like tapping them..... holding them.... but still nothing :(

I know my keyboard works because other F keys work such as f12 because when i press that it takes me to the boot menu!

Any suggestions?!

Maybe it's just the F8 key that's not working. Have you tried taking your keyboard apart and cleaning it? It's not unheard of to have one key on a keyboard not work due to just being dirty.

its a new keyboard

In my manual on the page where it says the function keys for the startup screen, all its got it tab, del, f9, f12, and end, it doesnt say any other keys.

But surely it must have that option, the only way for me to get to that screen is by turning off my pc un-expectedly.

I dont NEED to get to that screen, im just trying to find out why its not working.

The F8 function is not a hardware thing, it's a Windows thing. Perhaps there is a problem with your Windows installation. I would at least try a different keyboard if you don't feel like cleaning yours. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't possibly fail.

i have another so ill try it later, is there no chance that it could be a motherboard problem?

ohh , you saying its a windows thing....

yeah but, the motherboard screen doesnt even show up which gives me the option to boot fin safe mode, its not like i press on safe mode then it boots normally, it just ignores my press, but yeah, ill try a different keyboard but i doubt its my keyboard tho

I would just start pressing F8 repeatedly as soon as I hit the power button as I'm not sure exactly when you're supposed to press it. I highly doubt that it's a problem with your motherboard. I think that at worst you may have to format and reinstall Windows. Try the keyboard first, though. Always try the cheapest, easiest fixes first.

Ok.

If you've tried holding F8 or continously tapping F8 and you still cant get into Safe Mode restart the machine and as it loads Windows switch off the machine, press and hold the power button till it turns off.

Next time you boot up you should get the Safe Mode screen.

ok, but i cant see why its a windows thing, i mean, whether my windows has a problem with safe mode or not, my bios is not showing the screen which im trying to get up, ill go try it now and post back in about 20 minutes

Remeniz, thanks, but i know, that does work, i dont need to boot in safe mode tho, as its a new build im just making sure everything works as it should

and

ive tryed a new keyboard and it still doesnt work,

BIOS doesn't show the safe mode/F8 screen, Windows does. I don't really know any other way to explain it that would be clearer. Since this is a new build I would just format and reinstall Windows from scratch as that approach is much cheaper and easier than replacing a motherboard (most likely a perfectly good motherboard).

i might get a SSD drive in a month or two so ill do a fresh install then, its doesnt really matter anyway, everything works, and there are others ways of getting to the "safe mode" screen other than the conventional way of pressing f8, alsoo, my final problem... i have windows 7 64bit, and i7 processor, and a hd 5830 graphics with 3gb of triple channel ram.... the problem is that when i turn my pc on, the windows welcome screen comes on, after its done what it does, my screen goes black with the cursor showing for 5-10 seconds, then my desktop shows, ive put services on minimal and selected no startup programs, i dont understand why its doing this because on other windows 7 pc's after the welcome screen loads their desktops show straight after without any black screen delay???

I cant think of anything which ive installed which would cause this, any ideas, my cpu and so on works fine because its smooth running once its all loaded up

Back
Top Bottom