G.R.A.W Physx using 8800 series instead of Ageia?

Jenox

BSOD
I was wondering, since the 8800 series of GPUs has its own built in PPU (Physics Processing Unit) can you run all the Ageia Physx stuff without the PPU card? Because all the Physx is, is just a PPU, and since the 8800 series of GPUs has its own PPU within it, can you run the physics elements part of the game?

Also, this applies to Cell Factor as well. Which is quite possibly, the best looking FPS I've ever seen aside from Crysis. It requires the Ageia Physx PPU, ut once again since the 8800 series has its own PPU in it, is the Physx still a requirement?

I searched on Google for awhile but could turn up no results in regards to this question.

Ew, thats a toughie. I'm sure you could use it as one, and get past the requirements on Cell Factor, but i'm honestly not sure if you'll get as good of results like you would with a dedicated PPU.

celegorm said:
Ew, thats a toughie. I'm sure you could use it as one, and get past the requirements on Cell Factor, but i'm honestly not sure if you'll get as good of results like you would with a dedicated PPU.

Well then SLI them. I heard that you can have one 8800 series GPU act as a PPU and the other as a GPU. best of both worlds. :)

I was actually reading up and people were playing Cell Factor without the PPU and only seeing about a 1-2 frame rate difference, either that or no difference at all. But Cell Factor isn't what I'm to horribly considered about. G.R.A.W, a game that I like to play, utilizes the PPU, so I'm wondering if a near-soon patch will allow the 8800 series of video cards to utilize the physics engine within them. Hard to say though, as you said, it's a toughie.

If you SLI them, won't that just improve video rendering? not the physics?

I know atleast in my Mobo, i can put a good enough video card in the center (electronically the thrid PCI 16x slot) it will act similaryly to a PPU, but not as well. Maybe this is what you were talking about in your original post?

celegorm said:
If you SLI them, won't that just improve video rendering? not the physics?

I know atleast in my Mobo, i can put a good enough video card in the center (electronically the thrid PCI 16x slot) it will act similaryly to a PPU, but not as well. Maybe this is what you were talking about in your original post?

Not really to sure actually. I had just read that the 8800 series has its own PPU in it, and if run in SLI then you can dedicate one to physics and one to video rendering. I'll probably have to read up on more of it. But i don't see why an 8800 couldn't run G.R.A.W or Cell Factor physics, the Ageia Physx requirement doesn't really seem necessary.

Besides I'm buying an 8800GTS 320MB version hopefully by next month or so, assuming I can sell this brand new 7900GS OC to my friend for about $150. :)

really? when you find the article, if you could link it because now i'm interested. That would be the sole reason i'd SLI.

Just a personal recomandation, if you have the extra money, get the 640MB version. The performance isn't any greater, but it does give you more room to grow into. Either way, i'd get the EVGA cards. If you register the card, you get a life time warranty that does not get voided out if you decide to OC the video card.

sweet, sounds cool. deffinatly something to keep my eye on, and save up for (or wait till the normal 8800 gts comes down in price.)

The game needs to be programed to take advantage of Quantum Effects that the 8800 series has. So the answer to your question is no.

Back
Top Bottom